Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - New generation of guitar players
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

New generation of guitar players

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PetarDambovaliev

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:32 pm    Post subject: New generation of guitar players Reply with quote

Scott, what do you think the state of guitar players is today?

I know it's a pretty broad question but i happen to have a really negative opinion of my generation's players.

I see lack of originality, fascination of pointless shredding that has no harmonic or rhythmic value at all, lack of good sound and overall i just hear majority of players sound like a computer that someone threw up a bunch of nonsense for it to play.

If i am wrong, please correct me.
I just don't see where is the new Holdsworth, Henderson, Stern or Scofield.
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right, there are a lot of young players out there who seem to be more about technique than anything else. I'm not going to mention names, but even some of the amazing new jazz guitarists totally bore me with their lack of rhythmic imagination and soul, though I'm very impressed with their amazing abilities and technique. I hear them and think, I wish I could do that, but I'd never want to sound like that.

I subbed for Bruce Forman at USC a few months ago and heard a few really great players. Sorry I've forgotten their names, but these guys were really good, in all the right ways. I think these players are out there, but maybe just haven't made a name for themselves yet.
68plexi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, not Scott here.

Take modern country music as an example, or, bro-country, as they call it. It's essentially Metallica with a fiddle, and the lyrics are about daisy dukes, Budweiser and pickup trucks, or hip hop with an electric guitar and fiddle, with lyrics about daisy dukes, Budweiser and pickup trucks. Or Metallica AND hip hop with fiddles. Not exactly what a lot of musicians had in mind when they decided to make music for a living.

However, this kind of music did keep a huge chunk of the music industry alive, artificially or not, in an era of streaming music and dwindling record sales, and this kept a lot of cats from having to wait tables or whatever. And more importantly for this conversation, genuinely or not, a lot of modern country artists repeatedly tip their hats to the old guard, as in, Waylon, Willie, Cash and Merle. You'd be surprised how many teenagers in Texas can sing along with scores of Conway Twitty songs.

I'm afraid the guitar players you mention are not up for renewal just yet: they're still active. The new Scott Henderson is called "Vibe Station" which is lightyears away from "Dog Party", or even "Well To The Bone". Point being: the music is evolving.

I think a better approach is to consider that collective of new, younger players and more established artists like the ones you mention together ensure that progressive instrumental music stays alive.
PetarDambovaliev

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

68plexi wrote:
So, not Scott here.

Take modern country music as an example, or, bro-country, as they call it. It's essentially Metallica with a fiddle, and the lyrics are about daisy dukes, Budweiser and pickup trucks, or hip hop with an electric guitar and fiddle, with lyrics about daisy dukes, Budweiser and pickup trucks. Or Metallica AND hip hop with fiddles. Not exactly what a lot of musicians had in mind when they decided to make music for a living.

However, this kind of music did keep a huge chunk of the music industry alive, artificially or not, in an era of streaming music and dwindling record sales, and this kept a lot of cats from having to wait tables or whatever. And more importantly for this conversation, genuinely or not, a lot of modern country artists repeatedly tip their hats to the old guard, as in, Waylon, Willie, Cash and Merle. You'd be surprised how many teenagers in Texas can sing along with scores of Conway Twitty songs.

I'm afraid the guitar players you mention are not up for renewal just yet: they're still active. The new Scott Henderson is called "Vibe Station" which is lightyears away from "Dog Party", or even "Well To The Bone". Point being: the music is evolving.

I think a better approach is to consider that collective of new, younger players and more established artists like the ones you mention together ensure that progressive instrumental music stays alive.

I do not agree that Vibe Station is light years away from the older albums Scott did.
They are all on the highest level, at a different development stage of his career.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: