Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - Yamaha UD-Stomp
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Yamaha UD-Stomp
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sandro

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:02 am    Post subject: Yamaha UD-Stomp Reply with quote

Hi Scott,

Thank you for taking your time and answer our questions.

My question is in relation to the Yamaha UD-Stomp, in one of your post you said "in my studio I have a very elaborate setup for that sound on the computer using eight separate Waves delay patches which have independent delay times, panning, and feedback. It's totally Allan Holdsworth's formula because it's just copied from the Yamaha UD Stomp which he wrote patches for" now do you use a stand alone software or part of your DAW program? In any case can you give me some more details on how you do it? I have the Setting sheet so I have all the info I need. Also did you try the Yamaha Magicstomp?

Thank you
Sandro
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a Waves plug in called Super-Tap (delay) for that. It's easy to set up - The UD-Stomp delays are usually 8 taps, so you set up 8 busses in your DAW, and assign a separate delay on each bus. Then you just copy each parameter of the UD-Stomp patch into the 8 plug-in delays.

The Magic stomp is more of a multi-FX than a dedicated delay unit, so it doesn't have as many detailed parameters for the delays, but it's still a cool box.
Sandro

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Scott Henderson"]I use a Waves plug in called Super-Tap (delay) for that. It's easy to set up - The UD-Stomp delays are usually 8 taps, so you set up 8 busses in your DAW, and assign a separate delay on each bus. Then you just copy each parameter of the UD-Stomp patch into the 8 plug-in delays.

The Magic stomp is more of a multi-FX than a dedicated delay unit, so it doesn't have as many detailed parameters for the delays, but it's still a cool box.[/quote]

Hi Scott thank you for your replay, so there isn't a stand alone software that can do this set up? I know Holdsworth in a live set up used 6 Magic Stomp 3 for comp and 3 for solo as you can see from this video.

I just would love to add as much sustain I can possibly add to my sound.

Here is the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rl7Enm2U5D0

Also in this video you can hear the huge sound of his guitar: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_dAV5yKJ4s

Thanks,
Sandro
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no stand alone software that I know of which does this, only hardware like the UD Stomp, or many Magic Stomps like Allan is using. I see on the video he's using multi tap delays for his soloing sound. That wouldn't work for me because I play short notes and I'm more of a rhythmic improvisor than Allan - when you play a short note, that nice bed of delays sounds like a machine gun going off - it just doesn't work for rhythmic playing. As long as you stick to long notes and legato stuff like Allan's doing it sounds great.

I only use the multi taps for that totally clean "synth pad" sound, like on "The Orphan" on the HBC record.
countandduke

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I saw Big Al play in Wisconsin and even in Palatine 10 or so years ago, he was using the DG1000 and the UD-Stomps but the effect level was set VERY VERY low, you didn't hear any delay repeats at all. I believe he was using the delay lines to simply make the notes longer. Kind of like a reverb but not at all "washed out". You could hear each and every note very clearly, and I'll tell you what, I saw him 2 nights in a row and NO ONE made a perceivable "mistake". Chad W. on drums Jimmy J. on bass... It was SCARY good!
I saw Scott with Mike Clark on drums and Jeff Berlin on bass in Chicago a couple years ago. Their van had broken down or something so they were late getting to the show, no soundcheck, they arrived (I helped carry in some equipment) apologized for being later than they anticipated and then they did their thing! No mistakes, just outstandingly good music with funny stories thrown in here and there. Fantastic night!!!

Best,
Chris
mij

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Scott
What is the actual plugin name you have?
i have the waves diamond bundle 5.2 and the available delays are the 'super tap 2 or 6 taps' either for mono or stereo
thanks!
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I have - to get the synth pad sound, I use four Super Tap 2 delays - two on the right bus and two on the left. I'm actually using only one of the two taps on each delay, so two mono delays on each bus would work.

You're probably thinking, why not just use one stereo delay on each bus? The reason is feedback. With four mono delays, the feedback can be adjusted independently so that the right and left sides fade at the same time.
mij

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks mate, really helpful...
if it's not too difficult, post a print screen of this saved preset...it would be great
If you don't have the time (probably you don't...), don't bother!
thanks anyway!!!
cheers!!
kirk95
StarShip Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took a screenshot but can't seem to upload it. I pressed the img button, dragged the file there and then hit the img button again, but that didn't work. Can anyone tell me how to do it?
pedrobellora

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!
I'm posting this in behalf of Scott. If anyone has a problem seeing the image, please let me know!

Here ya go - as you can see, the order is from the top down, each effect feeding the next.

mij

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what to say!!!!!
Man, you're great!!!!!!
THANKS....
lidesnowi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://tonecarver.wordpress.com/delay8/

Just found this
mattmarantz

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:13 am    Post subject: Modulation depth settings for plugins/Ubermod Reply with quote

Hello gents,

I have been experiementing with the techniques outlined in this thread for emulating the UD Stomp Yamaha pedal's Holdsworth settings.

I have tried using Logic X's stock delay and chorus plugins separately, but much cooler to me is the Valhalla DSP "Ubermod" delay & modulation plugin.

The Ubermod plugin has both delay and modulation settings. It seems like the ideal candidate to emulate the classic UD Stomp sounds.

I currently have a setup running with 8 separate instances of Ubermod on 8 different Aux tracks in Logic X. It's working pretty well.

I am stumped about something though. The modulation "depth" settings.

If you lookup the plugin here, you will see that there is a mod depth setting on the modulation section of the plugin: https://valhalladsp.com/shop/delay/valhalla-uber-mod/

On the patch list here from Yamaha, delay band 1 on the "Chorus 1" setting says "3.5" out of "10" possible integers. Ubermod itself has depth settings possible from 0 to 10hz. So, likewise I just entered "3.5hz" into the mod settings on the Ubermod plugin.

Somehow though, I'm not certain that's right. I want to know exactly how many hz the original UD Stomp/Magic Stomp modulation depth setting had. That way, you could do a quick bit of math to determine the exact frequency to set the Ubermod mod depth setting at, thereby acheiving a perfect emulation of the UD Stomp settings.

Or maybe it is really as simple as copying the mod depth settings like I did.

Thanks, and please let me know what you think. If anyone knows the max possible mod depth frequency for the original Yamaha UD Stomp, that would be very helpful!

All best,
Matt[/img]
magicaldog

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The free VST plugin from Tonecarver called Delay 8 does more or less the exact thing the UD stomp does.

I use to have a UD stomp but now I have a couple of Magicstomps and they can do what the UD stomp does and more.

Tonecarvers Delay 8 is great and is not heavy on CPU.

Mr Tonecarver's site seems to be left unattended and download links dead and maybe Mr Tonecarver is dead too cause he doesn't respond to messages anymore !

I have it on my Google drive and you can get it here:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1U8ER8bUqm937hTbkqP6ULnF4p-MqZKdf
ItAllanLover

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you magicaldog! Can you help me to run it on logic pro x, please? How can i do it?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: