Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - Allan Holdsworth interview
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Allan Holdsworth interview
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thumberstrummer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Scott.
This is just to add my two cents... An old friend of mine, an amazing guitar player, used to mess around a lot with Allan's music and style.
A lot of folks around do the same, and it's not arguable they all look like a B-series Holdsworth - nothing compares to the original!
It took years, after that, to withdraw my friend to be called a B-series Holdworth. Trust me, he was so much into Allan's music that he seemed having kept kind of the full thing in order to think and play like him. In my opinion, he did study so much his musical concepts (along with Slonimsky's Thesaurus), to have fully digested them, and naturally started to do something new, but in that direction (almost technically speaking), which deserved him to be always seen as a clone, no matter how his musical idea was gone beyond or beside Allan's.
I remember the first time I heard a solo of yours, maybe on Ponty album Fables (Cat Tales).... Wow, I said to myself, this guy is from the moon, same as Allan Holdworth, but he's got these bluesy roots hidden in his playing which move my hearth much more than Holdsworth's do.
That's exactly the reason why i feel so much for your playing style, still today.
When it comes to Slonimsky's Thesaurus: did you have ever messed around with that?
Thanks Scott
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are definitely a lot of Holdsworth clones out there. I knew my legato technique, which I was already developing before I ever heard Allan, and my high gain tone were already similar to Allan's, so the last thing I needed to do was learn his vocabulary. That would've been a total betrayal of my own playing, since the thumb has to be behind the neck at all times to play Allan's style.

I've never studied that book, mainly because my reading sucks so bad that I'd never be patient enough to learn anything from it. Is it available on CD? It's never too late! ha ha
MarkLawrence

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Scott. Another AH interview where he mentions you came up on Facebook a couple of days ago which you may not have seen. It's from 'Home Recording' magazine in 1997 and he says that you were using a Neumann U87 a lot of the time and that he really dug it for guitar. https://www.facebook.com/AllanHoldsworthArchives/posts/746140332226529
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the timing is appropriate, I'll comment on that interview.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: