Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - NOS Tubes and other Amp Mods
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

NOS Tubes and other Amp Mods

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikoo69

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:56 am    Post subject: NOS Tubes and other Amp Mods Reply with quote

Hi Scott,

Wondering your thoughts on NOS Tubes.

My new Marshall JTM45 THW comes with KT66s, 3x 12AX7s and a GZ34 Rectifier. While the KT66 NOS are prohibitively expensive, I'm wondering if it's worth going NOS for the preamp and rectifier tubes.

Do you typically use your amps stock, or do you do any mods or tube upgrades?

Thanks
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried NOS tubes in my '64 Bandmaster and the sound was improved, but when I tried them in my Suhr SH-100 they gave it too much bass. According to John, modern amp builders build and EQ their amps using modern tubes, so NOS might not be appropriate - my opinion is that they sound the best in vintage amps.

My amps from Suhr are stock - John likes JJ's and says they've been the most reliable so I just take his word for it. I'm not an expert on different tube brands.
Red Suede

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uwe Salwender told me the same thing. NOS in vintage amps, tubes of the day in new amps. I tried NOS in a Diezel amp I used to own. I sent it to him for repair and one of the NOS GE preamp tubes arced on him. He asked if he could take them out. I also put GE power amp tubes in it, thinking the tone would improve, and between he and my amp repair guy (R.I.P), they both said it wouldn't make a hill of beans difference, and they were right. Although NOS Mullards did make a big difference in my Soldano X88 preamp.
mikoo69

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott Henderson wrote:
According to John, modern amp builders build and EQ their amps using modern tubes, so NOS might not be appropriate - my opinion is that they sound the best in vintage amps.

Makes sense. So even though my JTM45 THW is based on a Vintage Amp, since it's actually a modern production amp, built around the use of modern tubes, then I should probably just stick to modern tubes?
peter_heijnen

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it comes down to what the amp designer used during finetuning the amp.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: