Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - Alex Skolnick Trio...
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Alex Skolnick Trio...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
countandduke

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:35 am    Post subject: Alex Skolnick Trio... Reply with quote

So Alex (from the band Testament) has put out a few albums where he plays jazzy versions of rock tunes like "War Pigs" and "Pinball Wizard", you've done something similar with fusion tunes but his choice of tunes have been different in so much as your choice of tunes have typically been instrumental tunes for the original version. What are your thoughts Scott on doing "jazzy"tunes of Sabbath or other "heavy rock" bands?

I'm not sure I would have appreciated it in my youth but now I think it's just AWESOME because there are times that a full blown rock band wouldn't go over well at a club but the same tunes played in a different genre might work really well...

Thoughts???

Best,
Chris
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll never do a cover on an album again - you don't make any publishing money, and you have to pay licensing fees to the composers. We did it on HBC but that was with a label, so they did all the paperwork. I don't use labels anymore, so no more covers. Just having one on Vibe Station is a pain in the ass because I have to keep track of downloads and keep the licensing current.
Petar

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Alex Skolnick Trio... Reply with quote

countandduke wrote:
So Alex (from the band Testament) has put out a few albums where he plays jazzy versions of rock tunes like "War Pigs" and "Pinball Wizard", you've done something similar with fusion tunes but his choice of tunes have been different in so much as your choice of tunes have typically been instrumental tunes for the original version. What are your thoughts Scott on doing "jazzy"tunes of Sabbath or other "heavy rock" bands?

I'm not sure I would have appreciated it in my youth but now I think it's just AWESOME because there are times that a full blown rock band wouldn't go over well at a club but the same tunes played in a different genre might work really well...

Thoughts???

Best,
Chris

I've seen many videos and songs with him that include "jazz" in the title but i've never actually heard him play more than a min maj7 arpeggio.
It goes back to what they were talking on the podcast few months ago, when Slayer was playing on a "jazz" festival.

- George Carlin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: