Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - Headphones in the studio
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Headphones in the studio

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
guitarplayer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:13 pm    Post subject: Headphones in the studio Reply with quote

Hi Scott,
I recently did some recording in the studio with a band, the amp was tucked away to avoid bleeding. I could only hear my sound in the headphones. The tone was so harsh that I was unable to play well. Overplaying, holding back, everything went wrong. I had to be out in the room with the band to see cues etc but we needed the amp to be isolated for potential overdubbing later.
Have you ever had this experience? and what solutions did you come up with so that you can get your tone, but still play well in a session?
Thanks!
dizzy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the exact same experience. It was really traumatic.
I asked Scott about it and he says he hates headphones.
I don’t know how anyone does it.

Scott
You had to wear headphones on Chick Corea’s album right?
daschwarjazz

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Headphones in the studio Reply with quote

guitarplayer wrote:
Hi Scott,
I recently did some recording in the studio with a band, the amp was tucked away to avoid bleeding. I could only hear my sound in the headphones. The tone was so harsh that I was unable to play well. Overplaying, holding back, everything went wrong. I had to be out in the room with the band to see cues etc but we needed the amp to be isolated for potential overdubbing later.
Have you ever had this experience? and what solutions did you come up with so that you can get your tone, but still play well in a session?
Thanks!

What microphone position were you using? If the mic is positioned at the center of the speaker, you’re going to get a lot of harsh high-end, which is especially painful when using headphones. When playing with an amp in the room, you’re typically standing off-axis to the speakers, so the high end frequencies are not as apparent. To emulate this with headphones, move the mic towards the speaker cone. That should help.

Recording with headphones still sucks though. You can also try sitting in the control room while recording and listen through the monitors, which is a much better experience so long as you can still see your band mates for cues.
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked Chick if I could play in the control room because I hate using headphones. He said "no, that room is for the producers". Arrogant asshole.
I would've gotten a much better tone if I was listening through the monitors, but it doesn't matter anyway since he mixed me so low on the record that his comping is much louder than the solos. WTF?

The only headphones I've had any luck with are Sony MDR7506. You could try those and see if there's any improvement. Contrary to the advice that daschwarjazz gave you, I wouldn't change the mic position because if you dull down your tone to make it sound good in the headphones, you'll have to really EQ it to make it sound right in speakers. Too bad you couldn't be in the control room and still see the band through the glass for cues - that's what I always do. Other than that, try the Sony's - they're much better than most headphones for guitar in my opinion.
peter_heijnen

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On several occasions i had to be in the same small recording room with a loud drummer, being that loud that i decided to wear earplugs inside the headphone and turned the phones volume up. The earplugs soften the unpleasant edges of the typical headphone sound and it actually worked quite well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: