Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - High Register Playing
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

High Register Playing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
busybox

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:31 am    Post subject: High Register Playing Reply with quote

Hi Scott,

Assuming you had to do this- how would you approach playing high notes on a 21-fret guitar that were originally played on a 24-fret guitar? For example, the climactic scalar lick on "The Necessary Blonde" goes up to an F, which is easily bent up from E on a 24-fret guitar, but not realistically possible on a 'normal' 21-fret Strat.

I guess the options are:

1. Just forget it. Use a 24-fret guitar or don't play the tune at all.
2. Transpose the whole tune down so that the highest notes are accessible with 21 frets.
3. Use some sort of pitch shifter to raise just the minimal number of high notes you can't hit.
4. Use some sort of pitch shifter to raise the pitch more than you really need (e.g. perhaps a fourth in "The Necessary Blonde" case) so you can play a significant portion of the lick lower.

I'm thinking #3 is the most viable option. The pitch shifter will certainly change the timbre, but as long as you don't shift any more notes than you really need (as in case #4) you can probably minimize their differences.

Thanks!
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that #3 would be the best option. Just for the record, that tune is my least favorite tune by Willis, and the person he wrote it about is my least favorite person, totally by coincidence.
harmonicator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott Henderson wrote:
I agree that #3 would be the best option. Just for the record, that tune is my least favorite tune by Willis, and the person he wrote it about is my least favorite person, totally by coincidence.

Interesting...I've always loved the melody and changes of that tune. I envision Willis naming it after some hollywood actress he thought was hot, yet you saw her kick a dog or something?

Do you have a favorite Willis tune, Scott? Nite Club?
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not quite as glamorous as a hot actress - it's his ex-wife. Yuck.

I like a lot of Willis's tunes - Wasteland, Night Club, Self Defense, Dense Dance - too many to list. He's a great writer! I didn't like Necessary Blond because it's too Pina Colada for me. ha ha
tribalfusion

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott Henderson wrote:
Not quite as glamorous as a hot actress - it's his ex-wife. Yuck.

I like a lot of Willis's tunes - Wasteland, Night Club, Self Defense, Dense Dance - too many to list. He's a great writer! I didn't like Necessary Blond because it's too Pina Colada for me. ha ha

Wow that is surprising...I always thought it was a great tune and really liked your playing on it as well.

There is a version of that tune for a jazz group and string quartet (including a NY jazz guitarist named Gilad Hekselman who is getting a fair bit of press these days) which you might have seen but if not here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fALtEhutlU8

It's very rare that these kinds of players pay direct homage to the fusion masters like you and Gary so I found it interesting
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, their version is so much better than ours! The guitar player plays it much better than I did and is a better improvisor than me for this style of music. I even like the tune now. But I still don't like Willis's ex-wife.
TaeKwonDonut

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does this mean your house isn't decorated in southwestern tapestries? I bought one a few years ago.. it was signed 'Yoko'
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG - so I must know you....

No, I don't have any of her fucking tapestries in my house. ha ha
dizzy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK now I am curious scott.
Details please? What did this woman do?😝😈😍😭😏
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Dizzy, I don't think Willis would appreciate me going public with details about his ex-wife, as much as I'd like to.
dizzy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand as I have some friends with ex wives like that.
I'll bet the words Satin and Horrible sum it up.
tribalfusion

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott Henderson wrote:
Wow, their version is so much better than ours! The guitar player plays it much better than I did and is a better improvisor than me for this style of music. I even like the tune now. But I still don't like Willis's ex-wife.

I definitely still prefer Tribal's version (and you play great on it, come on man Smile but I thought you might get a kick out of seeing that.

I also thought you might get a kick out of seeing the tune arranged for big band too. In Florida no less!

End times must be near!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLpUyXDDWNs
tribalfusion

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They also did "Outskirts" for big band:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tP4midm-PaM
tribalfusion

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I should make this a new topic so people know about it here
Thanasis

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow I'd love to play tribal tech in a big band.. I suggested Spears in the jazz workshop class that I take lessons and it got instantly rejected by the teacher cause he said that we would all be working on that tune for a year or more to get right. Bum. He was probably right, but where the hell does one have to go to play this kind of music?

This music is so rare in Greece that I only have the chance to suck at fly me to the moon. Please can't we all just play Astro Chimp and have fun just for once? I wanna play the doubling bass riff before the guitar solo and look at the bassist in the eye and reassure each other that this is the real sh*t. - "No. Just comp on fly me to the moon with the piano simultaneously and have no idea what his voicings are for the whole set"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: