Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - Anvil Case for SH100
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Anvil Case for SH100

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Louis

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:37 pm    Post subject: Anvil Case for SH100 Reply with quote

Hi Scott,

I just ordered an SH100!
I travel around the world teaching.
(Currently in Taiwan. Japan next year.)
I want to get an Anvil case for it.
Did you get the standard case for Marshalls or a custom-made case?
Here's the link to the standard case: http://www.anvilcase.com/music/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=56

Thanks again!!!

Kindest regards,
Louis
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The SH-100 fits in a standard 100 watt Marshall case, but I'm curious about why you need one - even with the aluminum chassis, the amp in an anvil case is much too heavy to take on an airline, otherwise I'd be using mine on the road instead of the shitty Marshalls I have to rent. Actually the JCM 2000 sounds OK, but the condition of the amps I get is another story.

When I first got the amp, they were charging me about 100 dollars a flight, and in a few years it went up to 400, which I was willing to pay if there were only a few flights on a tour, but then they changed the rules - anything over 50 pounds is refused because in many airports the luggage team has been cut to one guy, and the union doesn't allow him to lift anything over 50 pounds. The SH-100 in an anvil case weighs 62 pounds.
daschwarjazz

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Scott,

The weight woes and rental amp reliability issues you describe are the reasons I’ve learned to cope with amp modelers. My suggestion? Give the Fractal AX8 (their flagship Axe-Fx 3 is probably overkill) a try. I know you haven’t had good experiences with it in the past but the platform has improved immensely with the recent firmware updates. It has a model of of the OD-100 rhythm channel (which if I understand correctly, the SH100 is based on) along with some of your other effects such as the RC Booster and Octafuzz. Of course, you can always integrate your own effects.

In my opinion, modelers are best experienced through FRFR speakers, but if you want a setup that’s closest to what you’re used to, you can always get a lightweight neutral poweramp like the ones Matrix makes and disable the IR in the AX8. Altogether, you’d have a travel rig that weighs less than 20 lbs and is way more consistent and reliable than what you can rent on the road. If I didn’t live on the opposite coast, I’d be happy to let you try mine out, but I’m sure someone at MI has one.
Louis

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott Henderson wrote:
The SH-100 fits in a standard 100 watt Marshall case, but I'm curious about why you need one

Thanks for your answer!

I plan to ship the amp instead of flying with it. I move every few years so I figure having a case will end up being worth it.

I'm super excited to get the amp. I play my electric acoustically at home. It has its advantages, but I'm ready to start playing out.

Thanks again!

Kindest regards,
Louis
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks daschwarjazz, but I tried the 3 in my studio and couldn't get it to sound as fat as my amp and cabinet. It also didn't feel as natural in my hands - it has more compression than what I'm used to. I think for the type of high gain sounds that most rock players use it would probably work, but in my opinion amps are still better for blues and lower gain tones.

Luckily most of my touring is on the road and I get to use my own amp - I only have to rent amps on flying gigs, and I was misleading in my last post. I don't get trashed amps very often - my rider is clear about amps being checked thoroughly before given to us. That rule was obviously broken last week in Taipei when the amp blew up on the second song. ha ha They had a spare in perfect condition, which I should've chosen in the first place but it was a festival and I was in a hurry at soundcheck.
Louis

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott Henderson wrote:

That rule was obviously broken last week in Taipei when the amp blew up on the second song. ha ha

You guys changed it out so quickly it didn't matter. Plus, we got to hear the joke about the CIA dog!
Louis

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: Anvil Case for SH100 Reply with quote

I received my SH100 on Friday -- just in time for the weekend
It's a great amp. I am really happy playing through it. Inspiring.

I am moving to Japan this year. If I'm there during your next Asia tour, it would be my honor to bring it to a show for you to gig with. Likewise, if you end up playing in Taiwan before I move, I'd be happy to bring it along, as well.

Happy writing and playing!
-Louis
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: