Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - Just saw Sco live with the En Route band
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Just saw Sco live with the En Route band

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Open Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vladorg

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 3:16 am    Post subject: Just saw Sco live with the En Route band Reply with quote

I was @ the world guitar Congress this Tuesday for the whole day.I attended a whole bunch of concerts,seminars and clinics.The seminars and clinics didn't do much for me but the concerts were well worth it.the highlights were seeing Ralph Towner and John Scofield.Towner played his usual solo acoustic classical/jazz fusion stuff.Scofield came up with a trio with Bill Stewart on drums and Dennis Irwin on upright.They did only stuff from En Route and Sco was burning.He definitely worked on his chops and was playing fast,fluid lines at double tempo like never before.Smooth and warm straight-ahead tone from his Ibanez plugged into some Vox AC30-almost no effects just the occasional Whammy pedal and what sounded like he kicked in the Rat a couple of times.Stewart and Irwin were amazing also.What bummed me out,however,was the passiveness of the audience-rarely was there any cheering after the choruses which i thought was kinda disappointing because these guys played their asses off.I spotted Carl Filipiak(sp?) in the audience.Was any of you guys there also or have an opinion?

Vlad
clovis

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, what I wouldn't have given to seen Sco live playing trio. I am so impressed with the En Ruote CD....Been listening to it everyday since I got it. He said in a recent interview he's been wanting to work on playing at faster tempos like Benson or McLaughlin. I wish I could see this live I've been to many a jazz show where not a lot of people clapped after the chrouses. I think the only thing we can do is make sure we clap regardless of everyone else in the audience.

John R.,
kirk95
StarShip Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't listened to too much Sco. Please don't kill me....yikes! Rolling Eyes

Where's the best place to start?

Now since starting this Board, you guys are getting me back into fusion! Damn... That means I have start practising again.... Wink
Tom

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kirk95 wrote:
I haven't listened to too much Sco. Please don't kill me....yikes! Rolling Eyes

Where's the best place to start?

Now since starting this Board, you guys are getting me back into fusion! Damn... That means I have start practising again.... Wink

Dave, check out Enroute: http://www.johnscofield.com/music.html

Bill Stewart on Drums.... Shocked
clovis

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man.,....starting with Sco....I would go En ruote, Scolohofo (with lovano released a year or two ago), Works for Me, Rough House (SICK), and Bar Talk......I don't get too into his jam band stuff, but it's definately a great listen too....Sco IS swing....He can do no wrong in my book honestly.

John
Tim Goynes

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adding to the above list, for some fusion-era Sco, definitely check out Pick Hits Live. Gary Grainger on bass and Dennis Chambers on the kit...grooves so tight and clean you could eat off of them...and Sco is on fire on this one. You could also check out a couple of his studio recordings from that era, like Still Warm and Blue Matter. And another one to add to John's list, more of a straight ahead project, is Time on My Hands. Joe Lovano on tenor, Charlie Haden on bass and Jack DeJohnette on drums--some really sick playing on that one.

Regards,
Tim G.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Open Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: