Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - different ohm = different tone?
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

different ohm = different tone?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Funny Vibe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:05 pm    Post subject: different ohm = different tone? Reply with quote

Hi Scott!

I'm about to buy a new pair of speakers for my closed 2x12 cab. The amp is a '72 50w jmp, and I remember reading somewhere, you mentioning the difference between running the amp on 16ohm, 8ohm or 4ohm.

Before I even considered this, I was planing to get a pair of 8ohm speakers and wire them in series (16ohm). You think I should get a pair of 16ohm and wire them in parallel for 8ohm instead?
I would love to hear your opinion.
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm replying IMMEDIATELY because I don't want you to make a terrible mistake. Get two 16 ohm speakers and run the amp at 8 ohms!!

It's what every amp manufacturer recommends, and the way professional musicians have run their amps since Marshall's were invented. Only shred metal dudes run their amps at 16 ohms and that's why their tone is so thin.
Funny Vibe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much! I will do!

Also, if you got the time, have you tried celestions with the "heavy" magnet? I'm choosing between the G12M 65 creamback and the G12H 75 creamback. Have never tried the latter but i'm thinking it would be the safest for running a non master marshall in a 2x12.

Thank you again!
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried the Creamback speakers, I can't remember which model, but I liked the Heritage 65 much more. I've been using Greenbacks for a long time, and I can tell you that the Heritage 65 has more bass and sounds more like a Greenback than the Creambacks do.
gurnisht

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Scott,
Graydon from GDS amps, who (i think) redesigned the output transformer for Heyboer, which is used also in the Suhr Badger, recommends using a 16 ohm cabinet for the 18W marshalls:
http://gdsamps.com/faq/
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This guy has a hearing problem. The difference between 16 and 8 ohms is HUGE. If he said he likes 16 better, that's his opinion, but to use the word "marginally" is ridiculous. Don't listen to him.
ArthurBrendler

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry but my brain is not allowed to learn about ohms... ('Confused')

I have a Marshall 'MA50C' all tube combo with 1x12 speaker.
The speaker is plugged on '16ohms internal speaker'
Can i change to 8ohms using the internal speaker?

Sorry this dumb question!
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ohm setting on the amp just needs to match the ohms of the cabinet, or single speaker. If the speaker in your Marshall is 16 ohms, then you need to use the 16 ohm output. The ohm of the speaker is usually clearly written on the back.

I don't know anything about your Marshall combo, but most combos have an 8 ohm speaker. See what it says on the back of the speaker, and that'll tell you which output to use.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: