Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - OD-100 through 2x12
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

OD-100 through 2x12

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mojolang

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:41 am    Post subject: OD-100 through 2x12 Reply with quote

Scott,

This is Joe--you used my OD-100 in St. Paul last summer.

Question--I'm running it through a 2x12 (it has hinged baffles so can function as open or closed back..) with a TC electronics g-system and have tried it, as well as RC booster in and out of the effects loop.

I have one G12-65 and one G12-65H, if I'm not mistaken they're both 16 ohm, running amp at 8 ohm...don't have rig in front of me...

I've found it, particularly channel 2 with the RC, to be somewhat harsh. Hard to really pinpoint it...I think it may actually be too much juice and I'm getting tone cry. Is that amp really a 4x12 amp?

Further, when you are playing smaller rooms, do you find the fender to be somewhat more utilitarian---ie quieter not to mention easier to cart around---it may was well be nailed to the floor!....I understand, for instance, landau often uses the fender deluxes...

Also have you tried the wampler dual fusion? Interesting pedal.

Hope all is well.

J
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Joe, thanks for letting me use your amp! The OD-100 works better with a 4x12 than a 2x12, even though two 65 watt speakers should technically be enough. If you're hearing "cone cry", then obviously the speakers are getting pushed too hard. As far as harshness, try lowering the presence - mine's at about 6.

Yes, I'd rather use my Deluxe at smaller gigs. If you can't turn an amp to at least 4, the power tubes aren't getting to do their thing and the tone suffers. The Deluxe is loud enough in most circumstances, though I usually sit when I use it because it's so low to the ground.

I haven't heard that pedal - I'll see if they have one next time I go pedal shopping.
countandduke

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm gonna chime in hear really quickly because I think I know what you mean about the "harshness" on channel 2 of the OD100. I too noticed that with my OD100 and changing out one or more of the preamp tubes seemed to help a bit. My favorite version of the OD100 (that I have played in person) was an OD100SH/SE. The SH affected only channel 1 and seemed to warm up that channel a little bit and the SE affected channel 2 and boosted the gain quite a bit! It also seemed to take out some of that "harshness" too... If you can, it might be worth sending the amp to the folks at SUHR and have them mod the amp OR, try talking with Doug at Dougstubes.com That guy knows a TON about tubes and amps. He can get you headed in the right direction. Also, you could try a decent eq pedal and dial out some if that high end.

Good Luck,
Chris
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: