Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - Holdsworth crowdfunding & tone
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Holdsworth crowdfunding & tone

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ItAllanLover

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:28 pm    Post subject: Holdsworth crowdfunding & tone Reply with quote

Hi Maestro!

Have you heard that Allan is releasing his new album via crowdfunding?

http://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/allanholdsworth

What do you think about this way to produce a new cd?

Also, regarding gear, what do you think about his choices regarding all the gear that he uses or that he used in the past? Most of his pedals are not true-bypass (Magicstomps, UD-stomps) and affects heavily the tone of his guitar, which ends being compromised dinamic-wise....and his amps, what about them? It seems that sometimes he uses the exact opposite of what we know as "good sounding gear for guitar", i'm talking about the Yamaha amps that now are discontinued...

Thanks a lot for all your advices and...can't wait to hear your new masterpiece!! Cool
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don’t have any problem with crowd funding, but let’s be clear about why it’s happening. Many small labels have been forced out of business by ASSHOLES who call themselves fans of their favorite musicians, yet steal their music instead of buying it. This new “music should be free” trend has hit non-mainstream musicians the hardest, and now the only options left for them are to pay for the making of their own CD, or ask their real fans to pay for it. People who work for a living and don’t understand that musicians have the same rights they do are fucking morons. If they’re not morons, then they’re criminals, end of story.

About gear choices, Allan and many other guitarists, including myself, have changed their gear many times in pursuit of a better tone. To be honest, my favorite Allan tone was back in the days when he was playing an SG into a Marshall, but I’m sure he’d disagree. I think part of the reason he uses transistor amps is because they don’t care how loud they are - they’re more consistent than tube amps. I’ve played in clubs where I needed to play much softer than usual - the tubes don’t get pushed hard enough, and the tone is thinner.

Another factor is home recording. If you live in apartment, you have to compromise by using amp and speaker simulations, attenuators, etc. In my opinion none of it sounds as good as a great tube amp and speaker cabinet cranked up loud, but if you have neighbors close enough to hear it, there’s gonna be trouble.

Also, musicians have to compromise their tone in order to travel cheaper. My SE-70 isn’t exactly a state of the art multi-FX, but it gets the job done and it’s small enough to fit in my pedalboard suitcase. I’d prefer a 10 space rack with all the best Lexicon reverbs, Eventide pitch shifters, etc, but I can’t afford to lug that around.
stephane

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott Henderson wrote:
I don’t have any problem with crowd funding, but let’s be clear about why it’s happening. Many small labels have been forced out of business by ASSHOLES who call themselves fans of their favorite musicians, yet steal their music instead of buying it. This new “music should be free” trend has hit non-mainstream musicians the hardest, and now the only options left for them are to pay for the making of their own CD, or ask their real fans to pay for it. People who work for a living and don’t understand that musicians have the same rights they do are fucking morons. If they’re not morons, then they’re criminals, end of story.

I agree with you Sad ...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: