Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - Amp Decision
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Amp Decision

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HenryJ

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:17 pm    Post subject: Amp Decision Reply with quote

Hi Scott,

Wanted to get your opinion on this... You have an opportunity to get a new amp for: your style of music as well as using it for straight ahead jazz gigs. And, you only have two options:

1. Fender '65 Twin Reverb Vintage Reissue 2x12" 85-Watt Tube Combo

or

2. Fender '59 Bassman LTD 4x10" 45-Watt 2-Channel Tube Combo

The guitar would be a Strat Deluxe. Which amp do you choose?

Thanks Scott!
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry but neither one would be an option for me. The Twin is very bright amp, and the Bassman is only 45 watts - a loudl drummer will drown you out in a heartbeat. Also 10's don't have much bass.

I'd go for a Fender Hot Rod DeVille and put better speakers in it, like Celestion Heritage 65's or V type. If you want to spend more money for an even better amp, get the Landau version.

The Suhr Hedgehog is also a great amp, but it doesn't sound exactly like a Fender. The Bella does, but it's only 45 watts and then you have the drummer problem again. 45 watts is OK if you're playing at very small clubs where the drummer doesn't hit hard.
HenryJ

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Scott. Any other suggestions ? Budget is about 2k. Will the Hot Rod DeVille ML be loud enough for loud drummer in sizable club? Its only 60 watts...
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My only other suggestion would be the Marshall JCM 2000 DSL. That's what I use when I need to rent an amp on the road. They don't make it anymore but it's easy to find, and of course it's not a combo so you'd need an 8 ohm cabinet with it.

I've seen Mike Landau play the Hot Rod DeVille many times - his band is medium volume but they crank sometimes and I can still hear Mike. It's 65 watts but changing the speakers to 65's or V Type will boost the volume.
HenryJ

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. The Deville ML have already switched to stock type V 70 speakers in the stock ML model so this amp seems to be perfect for the tone and value. Would you even bother considering a Mesa Boogie Express 5:50 Plus head w Boogie 1 x 12 cabinets? Thanks again!
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I'm not a fan of Boogie - lots of midrange and not much low end. I haven't heard their newer stuff, but I owned a Rectifier head and 4x12 - sold them after a couple weeks.

Some people like my tone on the Tribal Tech album - that was a Boogie Studio preamp and 290 power amp. Personally I think my tone was very thin in those days.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: