Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - I play almost completely by ear.
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

I play almost completely by ear.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PRSMAN

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:56 am    Post subject: I play almost completely by ear. Reply with quote

Hello Mr Henderson, I must say that I take my hat off to you for taking the time to interact with your fans. A busy working musician that does this is almost unheard of, so I commend your humility and accessibility.

As for me? I started out as a rocker so I didn't need much theory to play the college bars, etc. Always had a love for jazz & fusion since before that time so even though I have no theory I was able to teach myself how to play some jazz standards and compose my own progressive & fusion music.

The problem is I look at music like a painter, brushstrokes and color variations is how I hear and envision it all, but to further my improvisational skills into playing more intervallic (for example) I don't have the theory basics to absorb much of the advanced lessons I find on subjects like this. Plus, every time I try to sit and get down the basics of theory I just run into a rut and go back to flying around the neck with what I do naturally. As an older cat with other things on my plate too (family, work, etc.) it doesn't seem time effective to try to start from scratch with notation and theory, especially when I can sit in at a jazz jam session and blow some decent improv lines. (Even though I don't know WTF scales I'm playing.)

Any suggestions on bridging this gap?

Below is a link to my playing and original songs.

https://soundcloud.com/tony-barbas
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's nothing wrong with playing by ear, but if you want to learn some music theory and general music knowledge, I suggest taking some lessons. Music books are bullshit, simply because you can't ask them questions.

I give Skype lessons - I could show you quite a bit in one hour, enough so that you'd see the connections between what you're doing by ear, and general music theory. Or find a good player where you live - that might be cheaper. The point is that a one on one lesson is the most productive way to learn it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: