Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - IMPROVISING OVER SLASH CHORDS
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

IMPROVISING OVER SLASH CHORDS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> The Theory Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AxeBox

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 3:01 am    Post subject: IMPROVISING OVER SLASH CHORDS Reply with quote

Greetings. I was figuring out the changes to Ana Maria and encountered several slash chords.

How about the Ab/C and Bb/C in succession? Can you treat the Ab/C like a simple Ab whose bass note is its third? How about the D/C -- can that be treated as a simple A7?

Is there a way to play outside such chords?

It's funny, but I hear something else when these chords are played. It looks like an F natural minor can be played over the Ab/C-Bb/C chords, but I figured this out only by ear. Is there a simple way of determining the proper scale for such chords?

Thanks in advance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
vladorg

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi AxeBox,
Ab/C is pretty much what you thought an Ab with the 3rd in the bass and it also can be viewed as a Fm7 with the 5th in the bass.Bb/C I would consider the same as a Cm11 chord and together Ab/C and Bb/C are diatonic in Eb major,so you're rigt you could play F Dorian or Melodic Minor over them.D/C I consider as C Lydian chord voicing(like Cmaj7 with a 6th and a 9th and a raised 11th if you wish)and you can naturally play C lydian over it.Hope this helped,

Vlad
AxeBox

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, vladorg, I'll keep that in mind. I will be experimenting with your info as soon as I get the chance to.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
russ

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, the above mentioned Bb/C functions as a C dominant - it's actually a C11 without a 3rd. C = root Bb = b7 D = 9 F = 11.
All the soloing material that works over dominant chords will work here, including "outside" stuff, depending on what you're after.
fusion58

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a slash chord concept which has always helped me:

There are basically four types of slash chords:

1) Incomplete extended chords.

Example: G/C = CMA9 with no third. (See the Bb/C example given by Russ also.)

2) Misspelled 7th chords.

Example: C/A = Ami7

3) Inversions.

Example: E/G# = E triad (first inversion)

4) Weird chords that are difficult to symbolize in a conventional way.

Example: C/C# = C(b9) [Sometimes subbed for C7(b9) ]
theox

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

russ wrote:
Actually, the above mentioned Bb/C functions as a C dominant - it's actually a C11 without a 3rd. C = root Bb = b7 D = 9 F = 11.
All the soloing material that works over dominant chords will work here, including "outside" stuff, depending on what you're after.

I'd say that F = 4 and call it a C9sus. But Bb/C is quite commonly used nowadays.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> The Theory Corner All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: