Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - Miles Davis bands
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Miles Davis bands
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
criminel

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:29 pm    Post subject: Miles Davis bands Reply with quote

In what formation/period of Davis bands would you have liked to play (if any) and why?
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite Miles band was with Wayne, Tony, Herbie and Ron. All his bands were great but I thought this band was the most innovative and also the most melodic. I believe this particular band was an influence on Weather Report's earlier music, not that there weren't other influences too, but these guys were less traditional and more creative than any other Miles band in my opinion.

But your question was which band would I have liked to play in, and my answer is - this band had no need for anyone else, especially a blues/rock guitarist. I was offered the Miles gig in the 90's after Robben Ford quit, but I turned it down because I wanted to play with Zawinul. At that time, Miles was performing Cyndi Lauper tunes, playing all night with his back to the audience, and pouring beer on his musicians on stage. He also had a front man who was running around like David Lee Roth - no thanks. At least I got to talk with Miles on the phone, but he told me he wanted to play some of my music from the Spears album - I guess that's where he heard me play. I thought if he wants to play my music, he must be really desperate for tunes.... Zawinul hadn't entered his one chord vamp period yet and was writing some brilliant compositions, so my decision was a no-brainer.

Last edited by Scott Henderson on Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
TaeKwonDonut

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott Henderson wrote:

heard me play. I thought if he wants to play my music, he must be really desperate for tunes.... .

I don't know dude, I think you missed the perfect venue to get that Ode to Willis' first wife that you wanted to write onto vinyl...couple that with a little Marcus production with some slick open G pops and drum machine loops.. man...what could've been..
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just threw up a little into my mouth....
criminel

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I think your reference to "Cindy Lauper songs" answers my next question about what do you think about pop songs as a valid vehicle (or contemporary equivalent of tin pan alley songs) for jazz improv. Razz Razz
TaeKwonDonut

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Herbie attempted it with his New Standard album.. Personally even though it has great players on it, I don't dig it too much which is painful to say since it has Herbie, Sco and Brecker on it..
criminel

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. I'm not a great fan of that record either, and it hurts for the same reasons. Then again I think the choice of songs is not the best.
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's all about the songs, and of course some are better than others. We covered "Come Together" on our HBC gigs - that's a great tune in my opinion. If jazz musicians choose strong pop material to cover, their chances of having a well received album are much greater. I loved Scofield's cover of "Satisfaction".

However, doing covers on an album can create financial problems and a lot of bookkeeping. I covered Chelsea Bridge on my Vibe Station album - in hindsight I wish I hadn't done it, because I have to go through every monthly sales report from CD Baby and their digital partners to count every sale of that tune in order to keep the digital and physical licenses current. It's a pain in the ass, and I can't imagine doing that for a whole album of covers. That's why I won't do another HBC album unless a label puts it out - they get paid to do all that busy work. Not to mention that when you do covers, all the publishing money goes to the composers, not you, so it pays more to be original. Jeff Berlin and I know that all too well, but we still say HBC is the best album of our careers because we didn't write the music.
TaeKwonDonut

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do remember seeing a band in the 90's who did a slow cover of Shining Star that was kinda cool.. they had a heavy set white guy behind the kit who sang and some bass player who wore a baseball cap.. the guitar player was OK but a bit of a Mick Mars clone...
TaeKwonDonut

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

criminel wrote:
Yes. I'm not a great fan of that record either, and it hurts for the same reasons. Then again I think the choice of songs is not the best.

Yep and how its arranged.. I didn't like the arrangement of Norwegian Wood on there.. however I do like Allan's swing version of it.
peter_heijnen

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott Henderson wrote:
I just threw up a little into my mouth....

I just lolled...

Haha, 'a little Marcus production'. Some twenty years ago i was persuaded by a friend to join him to a Marcus show. It didn't even last one whole 'song' before i got to the bar in the other room. Marcus isn't recordholder btw, he shares first place with Yngwie. He as well once made me leave the room within the first song.

Scott, i also lolled at your comment on Yngwie in the podcast: 'i don't talk to fat people'. Smile
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG... I can't believe I said that. I've heard so many Yngwie comedy recordings (like the one on the airline) that I guess I think of him as a Trump-like character. Nevertheless, he plays his ass off, and if it weren't for his obsession with Paganini and harmonic minor (my least favorite composer and scale) I'd be a much bigger fan. I love how he took the influence of Blackmore and added massive chops while still keeping the vintage tone. Nothing against Steve Morse but I would've loved to hear Yngwie play with Deep Purple and do his blues thing. Anyway, apologies for that totally rude comment.

I don't have anything against Marcus either - I've never seen him live but I like some of the music he wrote and produced for Miles. When I said I threw up a little, I was referring to Willis's ex-wife.

And back to the subject of Miles - I would've been honored to play in his band if it wasn't for the chance to work with Joe, who's been one of my favorite composers since I was a kid. I got to play a lot in Joe's band, and was asked many times for ideas and opinions about the arrangements of the music. Contrary to what some people say, Joe was a team player and not just a "do what I say" star like some other bandleaders I've worked with. Also, regardless of how much I respect Miles, I heard too many stories about his behavior - I had just come away from a camp of Scientologists and was extremely paranoid about stepping into another weird situation. I can't think of anyone who was more down to earth than Joe, and that's why I was able to hang in his band for four years.
TaeKwonDonut

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I grew up on yngwie, blackmore etc.. I saw yngwie once live open for Triumph lol.. What a showman! I liked his debut album. But I find him to also be Ulrich Roth on roids.. the song below kind of defines yngwies direction..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoI7deS76Ck
(solo at 40 seconds in).. to me this was the start of the neo-classic guitar style...1977 in think..

Also I really loved his first 2 solo cds: here's a cut (band comes in about 27 seconds in):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3-YsDNS8Is

Not sure if you've checked him out Scott, but he was a huge influence in heavy rock circles back in the day. Still fun to listen to if you grew up on it. Wasn't so much what he played but how if flowed out of him (also his hendrix influence is readily apparent)
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Uli, he's a great rock player. I used to go out with a girl who was really good friends with him. For that style of playing I'm more of an Yngwie fan, mainly because I love Blackmore and I think Yngwie's tone and phrasing when he plays bluesy stuff shows more of a Blackmore influence than Uli. I respect the fact that Yngwie had such a strong influence yet still created his own voice - I can hear it's him after just 1000 notes. ha ha just kidding - after one note.
fusiontone

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:08 pm    Post subject: Yngwie & Mclaughlin Reply with quote

Yngwie meets Mclaughlin, interview.

http://www.cs.cf.ac.uk/Dave/mclaughlin/art/flash.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: