Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - Recording With the Reactive Load
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Recording With the Reactive Load

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mojolang

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:55 pm    Post subject: Recording With the Reactive Load Reply with quote

Hey Scott,

Please excuse this potentially idiotic question.

I'm really intrigued by the possibilities of the (Suhr) reactive load. I'm wondering how one would/could use the effects within a DAW IN the FX loop when recording. So I'm thinking:

Guitar - Distortion Pedals - Into Amp - FX out - DAW onboard FX - FX In - Loadbox - Audio Interface?

But the guitar would then go through the audio interface IN the FX loop. I'm sure there is an easy way to do this and I'm being a moron, but figured I'd ask you. I've been speaking a lot with Matthew Garrison about using Ableton and getting rid of delays and reverbs and he says he's had great luck (granted, he's a bassist). There's also a plug in that apparently converts to midi with almost no latency. I dunno if you have any general experience with latency using DAW's, etc.

This rig, in addition to being able to have a killer direct recording tone, would seem like it could be great in a live setting unless you really needed to have the feel of the cab. If one paired a Suhr Corso, for instance, with a high watt fender (assuming the need for two channels), one could get high gain plus a whole lot of clean headroom and pan using a volume pedal. I'm not sure if there would be any issues with line level/instrument level...

I know Bonamassa has been using loads for some time touring to give him consistency at the venue and his tone kills, so...(btw, check out his new album!)

You mentioned you use an apogee interface - which one?

Sorry I'm a little all over the board there. I think many of the Wank listeners might be interested in your thoughts here, so maybe you could take it up there. Cheers.
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion, that wouldn't be the way to do it. If you put stuff in the FX loop of the amp, my experience is that you get bad results. See the thread on Wet Dry Rig about that.

The way I do it is: guitar/ pedal/ amp/ load box/ line out to audio interface/ computer, while monitoring through the plug-in which is playing the speaker IR, set to 100% wet. All the FX like reverb and delay are plug-ins on aux tracks, which I get into via the sends on the guitar track. I use an Apogee Rosetta 800.

If you wanted to take that rig on stage, no problem, just send the output of the guitar track to the PA. The only problem is, you have to hear yourself using a stage monitor, and most of them suck. If I was going to do that, I'd bring my own monitor with me - something good like an EAW or Meyer.

I don't see an upside to this scenario - you still have to drag around an amp head, load box, A/D converter, laptop, and a decent monitor. Personally I like the feel of a 4x12 behind me - I think playing through a 1x12 monitor wedge would be very uninspiring.
Red Suede

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very. I just had to do that on Sunday.
daschwarjazz

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For live use, you'd probably be better off with something like the Two Notes Torpedo Live (http://www.two-notes.com/en/hardware/torpedo-live/). That way you can eliminate the need for an audio interface and a laptop. Also, in addition to the all the excellent Two Notes IRs, you can load 3rd party IRs.

Another option is the Rivera Rockcrusher Recording. It's both an attenuator and a speaker sim with an 11 band eq that you can set to emulate different speakers.
peter_heijnen

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly, the torpedo live is a reactive load as well as a speakersim and the way to go if you want to pull that kind of stuff live and stage levels need to be really low. I have the torpedo for home studio use and it's great. You can also use it the way Scott uses the Suhr for wet/dry routing by turning the internal cab IR off.

412's: who doesn't love it? But i stopped 'loving' lugging mine around 5x a week. At the moment i'm totally happy with a 1x12 combo, but not without this thing in front of it:

http://hoovi.at/deeflexx-2/?lang=en

That is a 360 euro (410,- $!!) peace of plastic and i love it! No more 412's for me anymore. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: