Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - Chasing Scott Henderson Tone with RC Booster and SD9
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Chasing Scott Henderson Tone with RC Booster and SD9

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:19 am    Post subject: Chasing Scott Henderson Tone with RC Booster and SD9 Reply with quote

Hey Scott,

So I have the SH RC Booster first in my signal chain and it's awesome, totally clean boost and gain without affecting tone. I use the clean channel of the amp and turning it on just makes it louder on Gain 1, louder and more saturated on Gain 1+2.

SD-9 is stacked second in line for distortion above and beyond the RC Booster but here is my problem:

I find that there is some tone-sucking compared to the RC. While it has a nice fat and warm sound and sustain, there is this degradation of signal it seems. It almost sounds like one of the over drive presets on the Boss SE-70, if you know what I mean.

The setting is DIST @ 2 o'clock, TONE:0 LEVEL:Max. I use batteries and have tried different cables. It still feels like as if Im wearing a condom!

I'm wondering if I have a bad pedal or it's just the nature of these so called high gain pedals?

Peter

PS: Enjoying the podcasts immensely!
countandduke

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds odd because Scott has done video examples of his rig and there isn't any degradation. What exactly is your signal chain? From guitar to amp... Be as specific as you can. I imagine you've already tried obvious stuff like new batteries and maybe even new cables. Does the SD-9 sound good into an amp by itself? It MAY be as simple as adjusting the tone knob up a little bit because I think with it in the completely OFF position it sounds like a blanket over the speaker. Try fringing the tone knob to more like 10% or so and see if that opens things up a bit.

Best,
Chris
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Chris said. The tone knob on 0 doesn't sound good - there's a big difference when you turn it up to the first "black square", which would be equal to about 1. Also, make sure you're using a carbon battery - that pedal hates alkaline even more than wall wart power. Believe it or not, there's actually a difference in tone between Eveready 9v batteries and other brands. Eveready's are the best (with the cat jumping through the 9).

If those two things don't fix the problem, you might have a bad pedal. Make sure you try it all by itself so you can rule out problems with cables and other pedals.
peter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been tweaking with the setup and found out this:
There is no problem with the pedal by itself.
It's when I stack it with the new RC.

I watched the Godlyke vid again and realized that Scott had the old RC booster set at "volume all the way up and gain all the way down", just a clean boost.

But alas I had both channels of the new RC on with the Gain set both around 10 o'clock. This plus the SD9 DIST at more than 2 o'clock seemed to have too much saturation and hence the fuzziness and muffled tone. (I couldn't have described it better than blanket over speaker, Chris)

So I simply switched off the Gain channel on the RC and just used channel 1 as clean boost. The amp volume has to be high enough to clip but that kind of solved it!

Thanks guys!
peter_heijnen

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott Henderson wrote:
Also, make sure you're using a carbon battery - that pedal hates alkaline even more than wall wart power. Believe it or not, there's actually a difference in tone between Eveready 9v batteries and other brands. Eveready's are the best (with the cat jumping through the 9).

Wow, you not only tested brands but even carbon zink vs alkaline! Shocked
How would you describe what you feel the difference is between those two and maybe even more between carbon zink and wall wart? And did you test rechargeables too?

I love the idea of the batterie box on your board, i understand it's Landau's? Also i think to understand you use the 5 batteries for all your onboard 'soundmakers'. How do you power the midimouse and loopstation?

Another great idea is the SVC, i think it's simply briljant. How did you come up with the idea of the big volume knob?
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Batteries make a huge difference, and even more so with fuzz pedals. Anything with germanium transistors won't even work with an alkaline battery. In a normal distortion pedal, alkaline batteries make it brighter and fizzier - much less warm and musical. Wall wart power is somewhere in the middle - it's not as good sounding as an Eveready carbon battery, but doesn't sound horrible like alkaline. The battery box is a great idea - I'm not sure who invented it, but it's great to leave all the pedals plugged in and just turn the box off. Also much easier to change batteries.

It always makes me laugh when I hear the SVC described as an "invention". That term might apply at a second grade science fair... Whatever, it gets the job done, and I think traditional volume pedals are pretty much useless for controlling master volume in any kind of subtile way. You just barely move your foot and there's a huge change in volume which everyone can hear. I started using my foot in a circular motion with my first distortion pedal, the MXR Distortion +. It had a rubber sleeve which fit on top of the volume knob so you could control it with your foot. When I changed to other pedals with smaller knobs, I just put a potentiometer in a box and used it at the end of the pedalboard to control the master volume. Later I discovered it works better between the amp's preamp and power amp - that way it only controls the master volume but not the gain, which I control with the guitar's volume. The SVC is actually designed to go in the FX loop because it's a low impedance 25k pot - high impedance volume pedals which go into the preamp are about 100k.

The Midi Mouse is powered by a One Spot, and the Looper isn't hooked up - like all Boss pedals, it's not true bypass and will ruin the tone. I only use it at sound check to EQ my tone in the PA when we don't have our own sound man.
countandduke

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The battery topic is certainly interesting! Eric Johnson said he could tell the difference in batteries in his pedals too and I think lots of people laughed that off but it's interesting to hear Scott give a bit more detail in the differences other than, "I can hear a difference".

Thanks again Scott for the input.

Chris
peter_heijnen

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott Henderson wrote:
It always makes me laugh when I hear the SVC described as an "invention".

Hey, maybe you didn't invent that wheel, but you put it in the right place! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: