Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - Music school? Is it a good idea?
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Music school? Is it a good idea?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cody.carrig

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 6:47 am    Post subject: Music school? Is it a good idea? Reply with quote

Hey Scott,

I'm 18 and I'm looking at schools to go to. I'm a big fan and I know how you teach at MI, actually I found out because my guitar teacher knows one of your ex-students. But anyway, as a teacher I was wondering if you had any thoughts over whether or not music school really helps, if location changes things, just any thoughts about music schools. Thank you!

Cody
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a difficult question because it depends on how long you've been playing and how much money you have. Every school has it's own level - some schools require you to be a pretty good player who already knows some music theory, while other schools hold a mirror up to your nose and if it fogs, you're in. You can buy your first guitar on the first day of school. And of course, your check needs to clear.

If you're a good player and already making a living playing music, I wouldn't waste money on a school unless it was a top level place with famous teachers who are also great players. If that's too expensive, I'd find a really good teacher and take private lessons. If you're a beginner and have little to no gigging experience, a school can be a great place to learn music, make contacts, and give you the stage experience you need.
TaeKwonDonut

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm starting the Berlin school of Groove, Timing and Rock Licks in Berlin NJ.

Must bring your own metronome.
countandduke

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Berklee in Boston offers some really great sounding courses online. More and more classes are being added almost each semester. They're a bit pricey but the songwriting course I took was really great. We had weekly assignments and what not. An interesting option for those of us that could never take a class at the REAL Berklee.

Best,
Chris
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: