Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - New Blackmore footage
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

New Blackmore footage

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TaeKwonDonut

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:46 pm    Post subject: New Blackmore footage Reply with quote

From a few days ago.. I think I spy a reel to reel!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DR4t0TjgDxk

Solos from gig the day before. the sound is clearer. Still killin on Mistreated (second tune)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTbDUyX4FVE
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool - welcome back to rock n' roll Ritchie!
TaeKwonDonut

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I grew up more on the Rainbow Dio era stuff and didn't really get into Purple until much more recently. I was reading that after Gillan, Blackmore wanted 2 blues singers capable of harmony and so he got Coverdale and Hughes.. those 2 albums are great with them.. Stormbringer has some funky stuff but you can hear how it started to be almost 2 different bands.. so Blackmore split cause he hated that direction (the less heavy rock).. then a few yeards later, Coverdale started to have some commercial success with Whitesnake in the UK, Blackmore was pissed and took Rainbow in a commercial direction which produced hits but was wuss music.. although I like Graham Bonnet.. everyone else was long hair and leather.. He had a completely different look with the suits, short hair and shades... not to mention he had a great raspy voice.. it's a shame that kind of rock talent with all those guys couldn't go on to produce some classic stuff post-Purple..
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was never a big Rainbow fan even though Ritchie played some great solos, but I'm more familiar with the commercial version of the band. I'm sure there's stuff I haven't heard that I'd like. I took my wife to see them - she has her doctorate in classical piano. The band looked funny with their huge hair, but when the keyboard player did his solo "classical" piece, my wife was on the floor laughing. It truly was an unbelievable Spinal Tap moment. Actually the whole night reminded me of Spinal Tap - Deep Purple was much more modern sounding in my opinion, and my favorite Ritchie playing and tone was with them.
TaeKwonDonut

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hah I could totally see that.. the first Blackmores Rainbow band was actually Dio's band Elf, that had some really solid players on it.. a few them went on to other bands and had success. Then they fired them all lol.. but that first album had really solid playing all around and the writing was good. The other 2 albums with Dio are great as well but the first one always sticks out to me cause, well it was the first one and the backing band was more creative then just the straight up rock dudes that followed on the next few albums.
tribalfusion

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott Henderson wrote:
I was never a big Rainbow fan even though Ritchie played some great solos, but I'm more familiar with the commercial version of the band. I'm sure there's stuff I haven't heard that I'd like. I took my wife to see them - she has her doctorate in classical piano. The band looked funny with their huge hair, but when the keyboard player did his solo "classical" piece, my wife was on the floor laughing. It truly was an unbelievable Spinal Tap moment. Actually the whole night reminded me of Spinal Tap - Deep Purple was much more modern sounding in my opinion, and my favorite Ritchie playing and tone was with them.

I actually am a bit surprised about your view on Rainbow given how much you like Blackmore. Do you think that maybe it has something to do with you getting into fusion etc around the time that Blackmore goes in that direction?

One reason I ask, is that you have spoken about liking Gentle Giant and I recall you playing Yes' Close to the Edge in a class at MI back in the day so I assume you like prog to some extent and Rainbow has more elements of that than Purple did.

It's easy to spoof hard rock or prog if you're in the mood, but I think Blackmore and Dio were bad ass here (as was Cozy Powell on drums) and given how little rock you seem to like post Zep/Purple I would think you might get into this more than you seem to.

Have you ever heard this one from Rainbow:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOg526xOIys
TaeKwonDonut

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't there a hidden track on Thick I think where you guys spoof prog rock?
muddytrane

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like both Purple and Rainbow but they, to me, have different feels to them and it's because of the vocalists. Purple has that definite more blues feel to it with Gillen/Coverdale and Rainbow is more metal because of Dio's sorcery/fantasy lyrics. Richie's playing is still deep in the blues but he does a little more classical soloing in Rainbow, especially live. I wonder what made Richie decide to do the handful of shows as Rainbow again after all these years. Could be as a stab back for his uninvite for Purple's induction in the HOF. That would have been interesting to see Richie and Gillen together on a stage again, plus Richie and Steve Morse solo together.

Hey Scott, I want to throw this discussion a big 180 turn. I'm interested in who your wife likes/listens to as keyboardists in jazz, blues, rock, etc. With a doctorate in classical piano what does she think of pianists like Cecil Taylor, Keith Jarrett, Herbie Hancock, McCoy Tyner, Jaki Byard and more mainstream traditionalists like Monk, Red Garland, Ellington, Horace Silver. What does she think of keyboardists like the late Jon Lord, Keith Emerson, and others like Rick Wakeman.
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Rainbow link - sorry, it’s just not my thing. It doesn't sound anything like Yes or Gentle Giant to me - it sounds like 80's harmonic minor metal. I'll be honest and admit that if I had a least favorite kind of rock, that would be it. Deep Purple was way more bluesy, and BTW I'm not really sure which rock musicians decided that using the harmonic minor scale made their music sound "classical" - it just sounds pompous and funny to me. That's why I make references to Spinal Tap when I hear it.

My wife loves jazz piano - she knows the music of Keith Jarrett, Herbie Hancock, Joe Zawinul, Chick Corea, and although she likes straight ahead jazz, she doesn't know a lot of those pianists by name. She also likes Rick Wakeman, and appreciates the music of Yes and Gentle Giant for the great composing. She's not into rock keyboards, and obviously thinks metal keyboard solos are as funny as I do.

Yes, there's a comedy tune at the end of the Thick album, but it's not spoofing prog rock per say, it's just a joke on how we jammed when we were kids. I think the prog rock comparison comes mainly from Kinsey's use of the glissando mini-moog notes - way overdoing the Rick Wakeman/ Keith Emerson thing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: