Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - Deep Purple - Made in Japan
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Deep Purple - Made in Japan

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TubeScreamer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:09 pm    Post subject: Deep Purple - Made in Japan Reply with quote

Hi Scott

You've mentioned that Made in Europe is THE album to hear Blackmore's real tone but what about Made in Japan?

I'm curious about your thoughts on this album and what you think of his tone on it.
In your opinion, is MIJ also representative of RB's true sound?

Thanks

TubeScreamer
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have Made In Japan, so I went on YouTube and compared the two albums there. His tone is a bit brighter on Made In Europe, but it sounds like a 57 or normal dynamic mic was used on both recordings, unlike some of his studio recordings where he was clearly using a dark condenser mic like a Nuemann 47 or 67. One of those mics is really dark, I can't remember which one, but it's probably what he used on Machine Head and In Rock.

Personally I like his tone on MIJ better than MIE - it sounds like the mic was closer to the cone on MIE, and for a treble pickup with no tone control, it's super bright at times. MIJ sounds great to me - I'll have to buy that record!
muddytrane

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes, Made In Japan is one of the best live albums ever recorded. It caught Purple at it's most potent and artistic best. It was the album that put them over the top here in the States. But for pure sound check out the double album titled In Concert. It comes from two separate BBC concerts, one from 1970 and one from 1972. The recording is clear and bright and Richie's playing and tone is incredible.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: