Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - 'Tunnel Vision' solo
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

'Tunnel Vision' solo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:49 pm    Post subject: 'Tunnel Vision' solo Reply with quote

Hi Scott
I want to ask you a couple of questions about your playing on Gary Willis's tune 'Tunnel Vision' from the Tribal Tech album Nomad. I love that composition and consider the guitar solo not only one of your best but also one of the great guitar solos...period. For anyone who doesn't know it, here it is. Scott's solo starts at 1:12

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b68IyLS7Db0

Was the opening eight bars 'worked out' before the recording? It seems like such a nice mini-composition over those chord changes. Also do you have any other thoughts about that tune and/or the recording? To my ears, it sounds like a real purple patch for your playing and also for the band.

Cheers Scott and thanks,

Matt
TaeKwonDonut

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wanted to chime in and say that is also one of my faves. Willis told me back in the day that no way would he want to do it live.. too many chord changes.. and it's his tune lol
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The opening 8 bars is good because it's not me - it's a melody I'm playing written by Willis. I start playing after the first 8 bars and things get considerably worse. ha ha We had a good laugh when a critic who reviewed the album commented on how great the beginning of my solo was. Then the tune was put into one of the new Real Books, and that 8 bar melody was mis-labeled as my solo. Willis said to me "wow, I'm really making you look good."
TaeKwonDonut

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hah! You probably hate listening to that now but back then that was a serious influence both the writing and playing. Another one of my fave things from back then were the volume swells on Ominous from Hee.. loved those records from back then.. even a lot of that Players record had some great stuff. I'm getting nostalgic now, which is dangerous for music.
Matt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, ah right, that explains it... The rest of the solo ain't too shabby though.
nigel

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "Tunnel Vision" solo is a lesson in melodic elegance...I LOVE IT!

And I transcribed it years ago...so if anyone is interested just email me:-)

Greetings,
Nigel
e123ms

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, I've never heard this one before. Sounds like Scott was a massive influence on Jimmy Herring, see Only When It's Light and Transients from the Lifeboat album.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: