Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - Frank Gambale
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Frank Gambale
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paskiainen

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:11 am    Post subject: Frank Gambale Reply with quote

Last edited by paskiainen on Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
ItAllanLover

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Frank Gambale Reply with quote

paskiainen wrote:
Just wondering, but am I wrong that there seems to be quite much bad blood between you and FG? I know that Corea and gear preferences are obvious things, but since you both are guitar legends and love good music you share much more than what separates you. Or is it a problem to you that he pretty much followed your footsteps in the 80's? The wig shouldn't also be a problem since he dumped it over 10 years ago.

He has many times said that you are a great guitarist.

How about getting FG on guitarwank? He lives in LA and would be an awesome guest. You could have a great argument about gear also. Having civilized conversation with people who represent the complete opposite is probably the most interesting and fruitfuil conversation one can have.

PS. Please check out his soulmine stuff Scott. Good songwriting with his wife singing and not too many FG signature sweeps. Completely different than his old stuff.

I do agree!!!
dizzy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been a member of this forum for some time. I don't speak for Scott but I need to say something about this as part of the community:
What you wrote is patronizing beyond belief. If Scott feels something about Frank Gambale and he doesn't talk about it then don't ask him in public about it. That is rude.

Also if you listen to what Scott says, he would clearly not be interested in Frank Gambale's music. The harmony would not interest him so why would you recommend that particular album?

And guitarwank is not about having a bunch of guys who are great players talking together. Guitarwank is about having conversations with players who augment Bruce and Scott's discussion.

Again, I don't speak for Scott but I had to speak up.
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no bad blood between me and Frank - we've seen each other many times throughout the years at NAMM or at festivals and we're always friendly. However when it comes to our tastes in music - what Dizzy said. Maybe it's entertaining to hear people argue about opposite opinions, but it's not much fun for the people arguing. We don't ask people on the podcast based on whether they're virtuoso players, but by how interested we are in what they have to say.
paskiainen

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by paskiainen on Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
countandduke

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't think that post was patronizing at all. To me it just sounded like a simple question about having FG on a show and then a recommendation for possible listening pleasure. This is an open forum and I actually think Frank could be an interesting person to chat with. Both Scott and Frank played with Chick and I took lessons from a guy named Dave who toured with Frank back in the day and said Frank was a blast to hang around with. Titty bars, drinks, etc..

Tone wise, there's no competition. Scotts tone in my opinion is WAY better but they are/were both teachers, both have very nice biographies and I think it might be an interesting conversation.

But, with that being said I'm not privy to all that Scott and/or Frank know.

Best,
Chris
stampycatandstuff

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny. I gotta admit, Gambale and Scott are two guitarists I have supreme admiration for. Do they approach the instrument the same way? No even close. Is Scott's tone better? Understatement (although it's not quite as huge a difference these days, as Frank has taken his tone from the outhouse toilet about 10-15 years ago to a functioning toilet today). That said, Frank Gambale is amazing in his own right. What I love about following both players is their vastly different approaches, yet equally sophisticated vocabulary. If Frank could pull off some of the incredibly musical touch and phrasing of Scott, he'd be a better player (in his own right. not compared to Scott), because he lacks in that department compared to Scott, IMHO. That said, Frank's technique and text book knowledge is pretty staggering, whether you find it in bad taste or not.
Both are dudes who I champion on a regular basis.
stampycatandstuff

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really gotta say this: For a player of Frank Gambale's caliber, for the life of me I cannot understand why he finds the tone he's been favoring to be at all acceptable. I guess our ears really are like snowflakes. Don't judge, but I owned his Carvin preamp from around 2005, and it might be the single worst investment in gear I've ever made. And that's not necessarily a knock on Carvin, because for players on a budget, you can definitely get some decent stuff there.
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch you guys! If I was Frank and saw this thread, I'd be kinda mad. Let's not diss anyone please - ultimately everyone sees everything.

I have much respect for Frank and his amazing technique - I wish I had half his chops and vocabulary. That being said, I'll be honest and say I don't really want to have a public conversation with him because of a few things. He's not a fan of some of my favorite musicians, so there's that. He actually likes Chick Corea's Elektric Band music - I don't even know what to say to that, but obviously our musical tastes are pretty opposite. But so what, there's a very long list of amazing players who Bruce and I aren't interested in having on the podcast, simply because there aren't enough topics that we share the same interest in.

Also, and this is me being totally honest, Chick is a friend of Frank, and we all know that subject would come up. I have no desire to say anything bad about Chick in front of Frank - but I also agreed to try to keep the podcast free of anti-Trump conversation and look what happened.
stampycatandstuff

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well my favorite SH tone is probably the self titled album from 1991 or so. I guess I still have a part of me that like that Boogie midrange honk! Again, don't judge! Very Happy
paskiainen

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by paskiainen on Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
paskiainen

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by paskiainen on Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paskiainen, you really need to watch Between Two Ferns - Zach Galifianakis says that kind of rude shit to his guests all the time. That's not my style - unless Trump was on the show. Don't you care that Frank will probably read what you just wrote?

In your previous post you said Frank has some ideas about the music business - I know about that because I've commented on his thread. He's all about using tech to stop people from stealing music (which is impossible), and I'm all about educating people (especially the younger generation) that it's wrong.

There's really not much we have in common so I don't know why anyone would want to hear confrontation instead of a constructive conversation. You might also be interested in Feud:Betty and Joan - Sundays 10PM on FX.
dizzy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm gonna do my own show called "music buddies"

It will feature no holds barred fights to the death between different musicians. It will be interesting because their styles will be completely different:

Steve Lukather vs Al De Meola

Kurt Kovington vs Slash

Zack Wild vs Keith Richards might get brutal.

Scott Henderson vs Jennifer Batton would be awesome.

:
paskiainen

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by paskiainen on Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: