Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - Scott Kinsey
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Scott Kinsey

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:03 am    Post subject: Scott Kinsey Reply with quote

Awhile back I posted some things about Kinsey which I guess would lead anyone who read them to believe that we’re no longer friends. We’re actually more like brothers than just friends and have been for about 25 years, but we went through a time of personal problems towards the end of the X tour. Actually the whole band was highly dysfunctional on a personal level. I never said anything bad about his playing, since he’s one of the best musicians I’ve ever worked with, but I said a lot of bad things about his choice of direction as a bandleader, and how he’s handled his career. I wouldn’t have said those things about him in public if he hadn’t totally pissed me off, but we all know that we can get the most angry at the people closest to us. Everything is fine now, so Bruce and I recently had Kinsey on the podcast, partly because we knew he’d be a great guest, but also to have the opportunity to let the public know that we’re still friends and have no hard feelings regardless of problems in the past.

For the very few of you who’ve been in a band with the same people for 20 years, I can tell you it isn’t easy. You get to know the worst elements of each other’s personalities and can’t resist the temptation to exploit them, for the sake of comedy and cruelty. Maybe that makes for good music sometimes.

I was at a festival in Japan with the Zawinul Syndicate, where many other bands were sharing the same dressing room area. A fight broke out between two members of our band, one male, one female, and it was X rated for language, sexual content, and violence. No one could see them but everyone in the area heard it. Joe was sitting next to the late, great vocalist Joe Williams and said to him “Alright! Now we got a band!”

Anyway, Kinsey and I still have some differences about how to put on a good show, but we’re on the same page on so many other musical topics that it far outweighs our differences. I just wanted to apologize for the negative drama - I’m a very nice guy to work for as long as you do what the fuck I say. Just kidding. Very Happy
paskiainen

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really nice to know that you are good friends again. I wondered a little bit where all that hatred came, but since I dont know shit I thought like that.

What about Kirk and Willis then? From what I know they are not perfect either, but fun to be around and were of course big part of your life for many years.

Maybe some Kinsey keyboards then again at some time? Maybe even XI album? That would be a dream come true. Spain aint' so far away if that's the main problem.
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kirk lives in Texas so we don't see him as often but we try to hang when he comes to LA. Willis will never leave Spain, but as I've explained before, we decided to not continue the band. A quartet is financial suicide in this economy, and I like playing trio. I'd still enjoy playing from time to time with a keyboard player or horn player, but touring would be impossible.
peter_heijnen

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's like a relationship. You love your wife or man, but it doesn't mean you get along all the time. If not, i try hard not to get 'cruel'. But sometimes it's hard to resist, it's all about frustration. In the end any frustration is always about love!

Scott i love you man! Smile
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ha ha - yeah, any musician with road experience will tell you it's just as much about the hang as it is the notes. After 20 years if there aren't a few knock down drag out fights, something's really weird.
spellbound

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Scott Kinsey Reply with quote

Scott Henderson wrote:

...For the very few of you who’ve been in a band with the same people for 20 years, I can tell you it isn’t easy...

20 months is a challenge ! Having nothing in common but music doesn't sound like a big deal until you've run out of musical discussion.
hipfreejazz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott Henderson wrote:
Kirk lives in Texas so we don't see him as often but we try to hang when he comes to LA. Willis will never leave Spain, but as I've explained before, we decided to not continue the band. A quartet is financial suicide in this economy, and I like playing trio. I'd still enjoy playing from time to time with a keyboard player or horn player, but touring would be impossible.

Trump will make Jazz-Rock Fusion great again. Smooth Jazz, a total disaster, will be repealed and replaced with many, many new options nobody has thought of. TT will win bigly again and make tremendous profits and perform for millions and millions of Republicans at Trump's second term inauguration. Believe me!

TT will be HUGE in India and China...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4zWZFAvF_8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbM2F-cfN0A
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That guy is such a moron. I didn't watch the inauguration but I'll definitely tune in for the impeachment.
peter_heijnen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody wanted to play at the inauguration but at the impeachment one could probably organise a whole week 24/7 monster festival, with several stages! Did nobody contact you about it yet? Smile
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, but if they do I'll be there!! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: