Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - 2 x 12 cab / mixed speakers?
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

2 x 12 cab / mixed speakers?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thumberstrummer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:26 am    Post subject: 2 x 12 cab / mixed speakers? Reply with quote

Hi Scott.
I'm the happy owner of a Germino Club 40 / handmade - point to point plexi-style head. It's a (copied & pasted from manufacturer's site) "...JMP-50 watt Bass head with a circuit voiced for full frequency response like the larger Super Bass models".
When ordering it, despite builder's suggestions, I decided (fool me) to ask for the (semi-open back) cab to be equipped with G12H - 75 hz speakers instead of a stock couple of Greenbacks.
At today, having had the chance to test my amp either in the studio and in several live gigs, I have to say that sometimes I feel kinda suffering for a lack of medium highs, which would help be quite a bit to break more through the mix.
I love the fact that the amp is a bass voiced plexi, being a Strat guy not in love with ice picking tones.
Nevertheless I am realizing that probably a different set of speakers would help me to break more through the mix, especially when playing with keyboards.
Seeing what's around to get an aidea on which speaker would help my amp to solve this issue, I eventually landed on Greenbacks Heritage (made in the UK, 20 w) and/or Vintage 30s.
As far as it seems (not happened yet to run a test with these speakers...), Vintage 30 would bring in those glassy highs that in my understanding could serve the cause, but also Greenbacks...?? Big confusion...
What would you suggest to go with? And what about mixing the two in the cab, to add the V30 a little more body, but not so low midrange-y as the current G12Hs?
I know that the definitive answer would only come from a test, but it is just to know what your thoughts are. It means a lot to me.
Thanks for your time and for your open book approach. Once again it looks unbeliavable to have a place where such a gifted, admired musician hangs out sharing musical ideas and tone tricks.
Fabio
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chinese Greenbacks are my favorite. When they first started making them about 15 years ago they sounded awful but over time they got it right. In my opinion they sound better than the previous ones or the Heritage Greenbacks which sound brighter and thinner. I have one cabinet with vintage '69 and '71 Greenbacks - those sound amazing but they're about 300 bucks each. They're a bit darker and more vintage sounding but for my style I like the Chinese Greenbacks the most.

Vintage 30's are cool too, but the paper is very thin, so if you push them hard you'll hear a "cone cry" which is extremely annoying. I'd only use them if I had 4 with a 50 watt amp.

I've never had much luck with mixing speakers in one cab. I don't think it's a great idea because the amp EQ will always be better for one speaker than the other.
Thumberstrummer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Scott!
Very much thanks for such a prompt reply.
I was on the fence with chinese stuff, but it seems there's a growing number of pro musicians out there who are happy with them.
Even Greg (Germino) says they are good speakers, and they cost less!
Well, a 4 x 12 is the guitarist nirvana, but I can't actually carry around such a monster (I used to have one) until the day a couple of caddies will do that job for me...
Therefore V30s seem to be out of the game.
Sadly that might be the best option. I love that glassy tone in the upper mids that reminds me what a Marshall should sound like.
But I need my gear to be ready & steady in several different scenarios, so couldn't manage any cone-cry thing happening.
Maybe in the studio....
Thanks again Scott.
Best,

Fabio
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: