Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - Suhr Reactive Load
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Suhr Reactive Load

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nigel

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:28 am    Post subject: Suhr Reactive Load Reply with quote

Hi Scott,
I just got the Suhr Reactive Load and checked it out with my Brunetti Mercury Head in conjunction with the Wall of Sound "Brit Vintage_C" cab. Although it's a cab loaded with V30 speakers it sounds...well...BEYOND AWESOME:-) Really fat and natural! So thanks for your recommendation:-)
But I have one question about the Suhr Reactive Load: When I play a note or chord and it rings out it there is a slight buzzing droning sound coming from the Reactive Load...it stops when the note or chord gets softer. Can you observe that with your load box too? I assume that this sound is probably normal when the Load Box is working. As I said it's not loud or annoying but I want to be sure that the Reactive Load is not damaged.

Thanks,
Nigel
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry, that's normal - mine does it too. I guess when you pump that much sound into anything, you can hear it. Try the Fried25 4x12 - that's my favorite Two Notes IR. Glad you like the Reactive Load - I think it's playing a big role in making the IR technology sound and feel like the real thing.
nigel

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Scott! I'll definetely check out the Fried25 4x12 and also the Ownhammer IR's that you suggested:-)

Greetings,
Nigel
guitmac

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Scott. Do you use the Balanced or unbalanced line out on the Suhr Reactive load? Thanks!
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the unbalanced out because I go into the line in of my 1073 before the A/D converter. It's not necessary to do but I like the tone the 1073 adds.

Whether you run the Reactive Load into a mic pre or not, it definitely sounds better with the volume knob all the way up.
guitmac

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot Scott! I have that preamp too.
So, do you set the reactive load volume and the gray output knob on the 1073 all the way up, and then adjust the volume with the red gain knob on the 1073 preamp?
Thanks again man!
You are the best!
jason3000

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Scott,

You mentioned you turn the Suhr load box knob all the way up. This is very interesting! Last time I tried this, I remember I had to turn my interface input insanely low to not clip. Maybe my memory serves me differently.

Is that what you do?

I think John Suhr advised for the best tone to put it at noon or a little above, so I didn't experiment too much after that point.
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not very experienced with interfaces, but I guess they're all a bit different in how they handle volume. I've been using an Apogee Rosetta 800 forever. It has no input control, and even when I turn the RL volume all the way up, the signal isn't hot enough for my DAW. I run the RL into a Neve 1073 - I like what it does to the tone, and I can add 3 or 4 db to get the volume where I need it.
peter_heijnen

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's also about the RL's output impedance. It changes if you work the volume pot. With the volume pot on 10 the RL's output impedance will be about 10k ohms. The lower you set the volume pot, the lower the impedance will be.

It matters if you want to use the RL's xlr out into a mixer preamp. A matching impedances ratio from one device into another device would be somewhere at 1:10. Most typical mixer's preamps have an input impedance of around 5k ohm. So you'd have to turn the RL's volume all the way down to match it's xlr out to the preamp's input impedance.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: