Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - Recording - 1x12 Combo Amps vs 2x12 Extension Cabs
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Recording - 1x12 Combo Amps vs 2x12 Extension Cabs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikoo69

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:31 pm    Post subject: Recording - 1x12 Combo Amps vs 2x12 Extension Cabs Reply with quote

Hi Scott,

I just got a Kerry Wright offset 2x12 for use with a Marshall JTM45.

I also have a Fender Deluxe Reverb (22 watt 1x12 combo) which I love, and will be doing a lot of recording with soon. It sounds great going through the KW 2x12 in the room. Bigger and more robust than the 1x12 combo.

For recording, would you recommend just recording the internal speaker of the Fender amp, or sending the amp to the 2x12 cabinet and recording the KW?

In general, do 1x12 cabs record better than 2x12s, since you just are capturing 1 speaker anyway? Or is there something to recording 2x12s or even 4x12s that sounds better?

Thanks!
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never had any luck getting a big tone from recording one speaker combos. I'd use the KW 2x12 and maybe use the combo speaker only for layering. A mic doesn't only hear the speaker, but also the cabinet and the room. A quality cabinet like a KW is lightweight and vibrates just like a guitar does - the difference between my 4x12 KW and Bogner 4x12 with the same speakers was astonishing. No contest.

My favorite cab is a 4x12 - I guess because all my favorite rock guitarists recorded with them and it's the sound I'm used to. However the mid is thicker with a 2x12 and I use mine a lot too - it's the same KW offset 2x12 as yours.
ItAllanLover

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Scott, do u confirm that these cabs are made of Russian Birch-plywood? What do u think makes them special, other than the wood?
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if all his wood comes from Russia - I've heard some of it comes from North Carolina but I can't confirm that. The one thing I can confirm is that his cabinets are about half the weight of other cabs. Vintage Marshall cabs from the 60's and early 70's were very light - Kerry makes his cabs exactly like the vintage ones. All the corners are made the same way, they have real birch backs (not that bullshit pressboard that Marshall uses), and the overall quality is amazing - they're just made really, really well.

The important thing is the tone, and I've compared Kerry's cabinets to many others. His cabinets produce sweeter sounding frequencies, and bigger notes than any other cab I've tried. A few years ago I asked Kerry to make me a cabinet, but he said there would be a bit of a wait this time because the Eagles just ordered 15 cabs. He's popular for a reason.
ItAllanLover

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But do u know that even if it comes from North Carolina, it's still Birch?

Thanks a lot!
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That I don't know - I'm not a cabinet wood expert. My suggestion would be to contact Kerry directly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: