Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - Guitar Tracking Tips - How to set up the room, floor, mics
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Guitar Tracking Tips - How to set up the room, floor, mics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikoo69

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:54 pm    Post subject: Guitar Tracking Tips - How to set up the room, floor, mics Reply with quote

Hey Scott

About to track my album and looking for some general guidelines for best guitar tone.

I have access to a few different rooms in my drummers house. How to determine which room to use? Where should I set up the cab in the room? Corner, wall, center, near furniture?

Set up the cabinet on carpet or hardwood? It's a KW 2x12 and I plan on using the closed back.

Will be using a 57 and Royer 121 into BAE 1073s. Suggestions on placement as a starting point?

Will also capture the amp via a Suhr Reactive Load incase for some reason the micing doesn't sound good, then I can have IRs as a backup.

Will record at 96K

Any other general guidelines or tips that might come into play?
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many variables - the main one being the amount of ambiance and reflections in the different rooms. You don't want the room to to be completely dead, but reflections off bare walls can seriously fuck up the tone and add very unpleasing frequencies. My room is tuned with Primacoustic panels, so the wood floor isn't a problem, but if the room didn't have panels I'd want a carpet. I think you should listen to each room and pick the one you like the most.

I put the 57 in the seam between the dust cap and paper, about an inch away from the grille cloth. I have no idea where to tell you to put the ribbon. It's a super dark mic so I'm guessing right on the cone but a few feet from the cab.
Hope that helps!
mikoo69

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I don't have any tuned panels, might something like those reflection filters you put in front of the microphones help, to minimize bleed from the room?

For example: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GuitaRF

Thanks!
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard good things about those but I've never tried one. I can tell you from experience that nothing's worse for your tone than bad reflections from hard surfaces in a small room - everything that happens in the room gets back into the mic. If you're recording in a small live room, that filter might be a smart idea.
mikoo69

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott Henderson wrote:
I've heard good things about those but I've never tried one. I can tell you from experience that nothing's worse for your tone than bad reflections from hard surfaces in a small room - everything that happens in the room gets back into the mic. If you're recording in a small live room, that filter might be a smart idea.

Great, got the filter and figured out which room. It's a large rectangle room with a small doorway hall about 5 feet deep as an entrance to the room. Pretty high ceilings and a big carpet. All the other rooms were too lively. This one is relatively dead due to the carpet.

Trying to determine where to place the closed back KW 2x12 in the room? Away from a wall? Middle of the long or short wall? In the doorway so there's 4-5 feet behind the amp, but so that it projects into the room?

Will most like Place the cabinet on the hardwood and just have the carpet in front of it.

Any suggestions before I experiment are appreciated
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's best to have as much room in front of the cab as possible, so if it's a small room I'd put it against a wall. It's a closed back so the wall won't make much difference. If it was an open back or a big room, you could put it in the middle of the room. Hope you get a great tone!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: