Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - Voodoo-1
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Voodoo-1

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tommy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:53 pm    Post subject: Voodoo-1 Reply with quote

Hi Scott! Lately I'm very interested in an old pedal combo you and Mike used to use for high gain - TS into Voodoo-1. I have to play into a clean amp (unfortunately), and for years I used to stack TS-type pedal (right now Maxon OD-9) into Maxon SD-9 with fine results, but recently I got Super Reverb and SD-9 just sounds too harsh and woofy into it. I remember in a Guitarwank episode John Suhr said Super is probably his all-time favorite clean amp, but it's very hard to make it get along with pedals. Now I know why. Onto the question: I recently tried Maxon OD-9 > Fulltone OCD combo and I liked it way more, and than it crossed my mind that maybe I should try your old combo with Voodoo-1. Since I don't have the opportunity to try it before buying, I was wondering could you tell me what should I expect of Maxon OD-9 > Voodoo-1 combo compared to SD-9 or should I simply ask for the opinion on difference between Voodoo-1 and SD-9? For example, which has more mids, softer top end, etc. I've searched the archive up & down but couldn't find definitive clues. I'm sorry if I'm asking too much, and I'm also aware that you don't use super-clean amps. That's why I'd like to ask other members on the board to chime in too. Anyway, thank you so, so much for all the music and also effort & time you put into this board, it's incredible.
P.S. Based on your live use, I bought a set of Suhr ML Standards for my strat and couldn't be happier. Best strat pickups ever!
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Voodoo 1 is nothing like an SD-9. It’s extremely scooped, and it’s gain sounds terrible. It’s only purpose in running an OD-9 or Tube Screamer through it is to increase the gain from boost to high gain, and flatten out the midrange spike which all Tube Screamer type pedals have. I ran the OD-9 with the volume all the way up, gain around 2, and tone at 12:00, into the Voodoo with the volume all the way up, gain very low or off, and tone at 12:00.

All that being said, I like the RC Booster way more than the OD-9, and I like the Klon or Klon KTR more than the SD-9. I still use the SD-9 live because it’s more compressed than the Klon and helps when playing legato, which for some reason seems to be harder for me to do live than in the studio.

Hope that helps - glad you like the ML pickups, they’re my favorites too.
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I do know why playing legato is harder live - because of the volume. At higher volumes, the notes want to feed back, making it harder for a hammered-on note to sound. In the studio I play much softer and that problem doesn't happen.
Tommy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott Henderson wrote:
It’s only purpose in running an OD-9 or Tube Screamer through it is to increase the gain from boost to high gain, and flatten out the midrange spike which all Tube Screamer type pedals have.

Funny enough, that's basically how I used SD-9 for the last couple of years. Anyway, thanks for the response, Scott, you saved me money. Playing through a Super Reverb that is Super Scooped, the last thing I need is another scooped pedal. It seems that the only option for me now is to search for a pedal that plays along nicely with blackface-style Fender amps. I'll keep Maxon SD-9 though, it works too well with Marshally amps.
As for playing legato at stage volume, I remember you already talked about it. Another golden advice.
dizzy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The closest pedal to the sd9 that plays well with clean fender amps in my experience is the fulltone plimsoul. It has less bass and more mids.
The bb preamp is good for this too but it is not as compressed.
The Forza by Seymour Duncan that Scott recommended is great too because it has a full eq section. The only problem is that it doesn’t get as much gain as the sd9 or plimsoul so into a clean amp it won’t match your sd9 for gain.
The other pedal that I love into clean fenders is the jan Ray. It is low gain but it could function like a less scooped voodoo 1.
Tommy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dizzy, thanks for the suggestions! Speaking of BB and Forza, I have a spare Xotic BB Plus, and it's B channel also has full eq section, but it's not compressed/gainy enough. Works well as a low/medium overdrive, but I need more for that ''2nd spot'' pedal (the 1st being boost/od). I'll look for Plimsoul to try, although Scott said it sounds more scooped than SD-9 in another topic. It's funny how we all hear things differently, with no disrespect to anyone. I guess a lot of it has to do with the rest of the setup.
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what I've discovered by using these pedals in the same amps, both Marshall and Fender. They're listed by most scooped first and most midrange last.

Boost Pedals

Vertex Boost
LA Sound Design Boost
RC Booster
Lovepedal COT 50
Jan Ray
Maxon OD-9/ Tube Screamers

Distortion Pedals

Voodoo- 1
Plimsoul
DOD Overdrive 250 (vintage)
Klon, Klon KTR
Forza
SD-9
BB

My favorites are the Klon and RC Booster, but it's nice to have options for recording.
Tommy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Scott, great reference list! But at the same time I'm very confused. My experience with Klon was that it's more of a boost/od pedal. It has enormous volume boost, and when used to push crunchy Marshall with output cranked, it easily gets into high gain territory. But going into clean amp it just doesn't offer enough gain by itself (no more than a regular Tube Screamer, anyway), it just gets super loud. Have you tried it with your HRD and do you maybe have a different settings when you use it with that amp?
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right, the Klon and DOD 250 are overdrives, somewhere in between boost and distortion. I've never tried the Klon with my HRD, but it would work because I can make it into a crunch amp - I turn up the preamp pretty high and use a volume control in the FX loop. Unfortunately you can't do that with a vintage amp so you'd need a pedal with more gain than the Klon.
dizzy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right about the plimsoul Scott. I just took it out and played with it and it is very scooped compared to my sd9 and BB and Forza.---I hope you didn't order a plimsoul Tommy.

With the forza one nice thing is you have the full eq so it seems like it would fit with the most amps. Also it has a nice amount of gain on its own.
Would you agree Scott?
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it seems to be pretty versatile but I haven't messed with it enough - the jury's still out on that pedal for me. The one time I tried it, it was in an A/B test with the Klon KTR and I liked the Klon more. I'll check it out more closely when I start working on the new record.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: