Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - Neodymium speakers?
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Neodymium speakers?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thumberstrummer

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 3:31 pm    Post subject: Neodymium speakers? Reply with quote

Hi Scott.
I've never had issues with carrying around tons of gear when gigging, i.e. a whole stereo system with 2 212 cabs, a refrigerator stuffed with several rack effects, a tube preamp and a bulky-tank 295 Mesa Boogie power amp which used to weight a ton alone...!
But as far time goes by, my back is becoming weaker and frankly speaking I have shrinked my gear (that still fills a whole car!), trying not to sacrifice tone.
It's quite a bit a new generation of speakers is around, made with neodymium magnets (AFAIK have more magnetic power, so that can handle higher wattage) at half the weight, if not less, than traditional ceramic or alnico ones.
The phenomenon is been largely overlooked, but now many start looking at these new guys with increased interest.
All major brands are investing a lot in R&D, and it seems 2nd generation speakers are way better than the 1st production batch.
A bassist I play with has a Mark Bass 212 cab with neos, and it weights nothing, not mentioning he sorts a gorgeous tone out of it.
Did you ever happen to try one?
Thanks
Cheers
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw those at NAMM 2 years ago but never tried them. I'm so used to the sound of my G12M Greenbacks - every time I try a different speaker it just sounds like my tone is broken.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: