Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - Pink Floyd
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Pink Floyd
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Petar

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 9:09 pm    Post subject: Pink Floyd Reply with quote

Scott, i remember somewhere you said you never paid attention to Pink Floyd and kinda wasn't really familiar with their work.
I am a late bloomer to them as well but once i gave it a chance, i loved it.

One of my personal favorites.
Keep in mind that this is in 1973.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVBCE3gaNxc

- George Carlin
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No offense Petar, but one man's wonderful music is another man's fingernails on a chalkboard. I couldn't listen to this. Major triads on a piano in a rock context is something I avoid at all costs.
Petar

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott Henderson wrote:
No offense Petar, but one man's wonderful music is another man's fingernails on a chalkboard. I couldn't listen to this. Major triads on a piano in a rock context is something I avoid at all costs.

Well, of course, my ear is not as sophisticated as yours.
I was listening to Tore down house a lot recently.
Specially when i argue with my wife, i listen to 'I hate you' on repeat.
One of my favorite songs by the way.

The vocals on this Pink Floyd song reminds me of Thelma Houston, this is why i thought you might enjoy it.

Ohh and according to Bruce, you are a "Aolian guy" and about the assholian mode.
I remember this bit, in one of the early guitar wank episodes, i almost peed myself, hilarious.

- George Carlin
junkyard

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howdy, y'all. First post after lurking here for awhile, Petar's new appreciation for Pink Floyd reminded me of something, so I'm butting in.

One band I never thought I would *really* enjoy until hearing SH's opinion of Blackmore on GuitarWank is Deep Purple.

I think hearing a million fledgling guitarists (including myself) playing Smoke on the Water (incorrectly) when I was a kid biased me against Blackmore. In my mind he was forever only going to be the King of the Dumb Riff. So after hearing Scott go on about RB's tone, I had to go give them a critical listen. I even hear Smoke on the Water with a new appreciation. My new favorite band. Thanks, Scott. Laughing

Of course, I always dug Rainbow with Dio, because, duhhh: Dio. Go figure..I'm an idiot. Anyway, go listen to Blackmore, y'all.
Petar

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

junkyard wrote:
Howdy, y'all. First post after lurking here for awhile, Petar's new appreciation for Pink Floyd reminded me of something, so I'm butting in.

One band I never thought I would *really* enjoy until hearing SH's opinion of Blackmore on GuitarWank is Deep Purple.

I think hearing a million fledgling guitarists (including myself) playing Smoke on the Water (incorrectly) when I was a kid biased me against Blackmore. In my mind he was forever only going to be the King of the Dumb Riff. So after hearing Scott go on about RB's tone, I had to go give them a critical listen. I even hear Smoke on the Water with a new appreciation. My new favorite band. Thanks, Scott. Laughing

Of course, I always dug Rainbow with Dio, because, duhhh: Dio. Go figure..I'm an idiot. Anyway, go listen to Blackmore, y'all.

I've been a fan of the Deep Purple "family", as i call it, since i was 10.

Forget about smoke on the water, Ritchie wrote some of the most memorable riffs in rock history and incredible songs.

Burn, Lazy, Man of the silver mountain, Highway star and dozens more.

- George Carlin
Gonza

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you Scott on the avoiding major triads in rock but there are a few notable exceptions to that, I mean haven't we all listed to The Beatles and loved it? regardless of it's silly happy major songs that are still awesome to this day for some reason. Hell even Rage Against the Machine and Pantera made some rock riffs with a major 3rd in there. It is a weird sounding thing for rock indeed, but used properly it can give an identity to your music that will pretty much define you in the context of rock since it's not that common.

Now, getting into Pink floyd is hard, and sometimes boring, at least that's what happened to me when I heard it, but once I got to know their music more... MAN! you would not believe the trips I had with the dark side of the moon!

But I think Petar chose a song that might not be as interesting for you Scott as a 'first' listen, maybe you can start here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-oJt_5JvV4

And maybe you don't have time or don't give a shit about Pink floyd, that's of course perfectly fine, it's a matter of tastes and emotions and it never synchronizes the same way with ALL types of music or bands, nor even people. But yeah... Hope I don't come across like some kind of hard core square mind fan even though I used to be like that back then in my Metallica phase hahaha!
junkyard

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just my humble, worthless opinion, Gonza, but I think Scott might be referring to the voicings in that intro, you know, root-3rd-5th, or even any inversions that happen in the same octave, like you learned when you were 7, not the major tonality or the major 3rd interval itself. Plus the lack of a seventh or any upper extensions. Like a taco with no hot sauce.

Sometimes your ears get to a place where that stuff just sounds intolerably corny. That’s what happened to me with the major 6th in the Dorian mode, which I used to use ALL the time playing rock and blues. Now I’d rather hear a straight minor pentatonic, or a natural minor or harmonic minor sound. Or melodic minor! (that scale is weird with all these tritones in funny spots and a partial whole tone sound, lydian and altered sounds.) Once you’ve steeped yourself in all that spice, it’s tough to enjoy plain white rice. But it’s not that I don’t dig major 6ths or 13ths, it’s all context. And it’s all subjective, like Scott said: fingernails and chalkboards. Beauty is in the eye, etc.

Anyway, I dig Pink Floyd sometimes just to hear Gilmour. Smile
Gonza

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all your opinion's not worthless man... it is actually pretty smart.

I get what you are saying, I might have misinterpreted what Scott was referring about.

And it is true, since I'm listening to Scott or Tribal Tech, Holdsworth, Coltrane, Weather report or John McLaughlin I can't really enjoy old classic rock as much as I did when I discovered it as a kid, I now need more/different harmonic context but it is as you say, Gilmour's playing does not get old or boring for some reason, and same happens with a bunch of others players and bands.

But I gotta be honest, I really love Pink floyd and I feel that people are missing something by not listening to it, probably the same feeling Scott or Bruce get when someone says they never heard Charlie Parker, not that it makes a difference, but I kinda does you know what I mean?

I feel I said too much now...
Petar

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gonza wrote:
First of all your opinion's not worthless man... it is actually pretty smart.

I get what you are saying, I might have misinterpreted what Scott was referring about.

And it is true, since I'm listening to Scott or Tribal Tech, Holdsworth, Coltrane, Weather report or John McLaughlin I can't really enjoy old classic rock as much as I did when I discovered it as a kid, I now need more/different harmonic context but it is as you say, Gilmour's playing does not get old or boring for some reason, and same happens with a bunch of others players and bands.

But I gotta be honest, I really love Pink floyd and I feel that people are missing something by not listening to it, probably the same feeling Scott or Bruce get when someone says they never heard Charlie Parker, not that it makes a difference, but I kinda does you know what I mean?

I feel I said too much now...

I think it's pretty safe to say that all of us present in this forum listen to all of the mentioned above.
Even most of us played songs from all of these amazing musicians.
But i think that this notion that somehow when you know more harmony, you can't enjoy a simpler form of music, is bullshit.
I enjoy this
https://youtu.be/JwYX52BP2Sk?t=132

and this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtgTQl-YnRA

- George Carlin
jbear

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogs! I love Dogs. Real dogs, hot dogs, and songs about dogs...especially...Floyd's Dogs. The chords, the solos, the lyrics...that tune...I just dig it.
Kevin Thomas

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Junyard and Peta, I totally subscribe to the plain rice/spice metaphor. I also used to get high with music that I know like, but only like. I need "more" know to get high, musically speaking.
And sometimes I just don't want to hear that complex music, and I lsten to something "easier", and I enjoy it, that's all.

And though Scott doesn't want to spend time on Pink Floyd, he just feels like we do. Didn't he say that BB King rules, despite his limited vocabulary?
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just kidding about the major chords - of course the Beatles and many great writers use them. I just thought on that tune they were used in a particularly hideous way. Yeah, Sheep is more my style but they'll never be one of my favorite bands - I like Gilmour's tone though.

I've never let my knowledge of complex harmony get in the way of being able to enjoy simple music. I'm just kinda bored with the current rock scene and have been for a long time. I listen to Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Jeff Beck, Jimi Hendrix - I guess Van Halen was the newest band to come out that I really liked. I never got into the metal thing much, and when I hear bands like U2 it makes me wanna throw up. I'm confused as to how music like that gets popular. Oh well, to each his own.
junkyard

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Petar, I never meant to imply that we all can’t enjoy simpler music because our tastes also run to the complex, although I see my prior post reads like that. It was just conjecture about what Scott said about major triads, but he was joking anyway, so wtf do I know, lol. Like I said, humble, worthless opinion. But I dig Elvin *and* the genius in the simplicity and power of what Bonham did. I know that’s cheating because Bonham wasn’t actually simple, it just sounds that way until you start trying to figure out what he’s doing. But maybe that’s the crux of this whole conversation.

I still don’t dig the major 6 interval in the Dorian mode, though. Laughing

The Edge from U2 doesn’t even know what zinc carbon batteries are, I’ll bet.
(that is a joke)

Scott, there are some new cool bands coming out, my son turns me on to them occasionally. I listen for awhile and appreciate some of it, but there are no Led Zeppelins in there. Unfortunately, I think that deal is over. God, I sound like an old guy! “Back in my day...we didn’t have no fancy-schmancy mp3 files...” But kids are getting into vinyl, and discovering how awesome bands like Zeppelin and The Beatles were. My 14 year old has a turntable and is slowly gathering every Zeppelin album, plus The Beatles, and then he listens to Kendrick Lamar Razz
tribalfusion

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott Henderson wrote:
I was just kidding about the major chords - of course the Beatles and many great writers use them. I just thought on that tune they were used in a particularly hideous way. Yeah, Sheep is more my style but they'll never be one of my favorite bands - I like Gilmour's tone though.

I've never let my knowledge of complex harmony get in the way of being able to enjoy simple music. I'm just kinda bored with the current rock scene and have been for a long time. I listen to Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Jeff Beck, Jimi Hendrix - I guess Van Halen was the newest band to come out that I really liked. I never got into the metal thing much, and when I hear bands like U2 it makes me wanna throw up. I'm confused as to how music like that gets popular. Oh well, to each his own.

I wonder what you would make of these more modern bands which recall some of your favorites. Ian Thornley and Big Wreck (I assume you know him through John Suhr):

https://youtu.be/-HmW9rVAtVs

This group Avatarium has a definite Purple and bluesier vibe than other modern hard rock bands:

https://youtu.be/OxD_v2uZLdk

https://youtu.be/PwUoXCW0Kjs

Lastly I imagine you might have heard there are newer Zep influenced bands like Rival Sons and Greta Van Fleet:

https://youtu.be/-MA0m1K2jW4
Thanasis

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the Floyd as my earliest memories of music was of them and Zeppelin. When I was five I used to prefer them to Zeppelin cause Zeppelin scared me and I couldn't sleep at night haha.

Here is a funny part off the Pompeii movie that everyone is being cocky and kind at the same time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5lS6ItGWsY
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: