Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - Vocabulary when revisiting old tunes
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Vocabulary when revisiting old tunes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thanasis

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:52 am    Post subject: Vocabulary when revisiting old tunes Reply with quote

Hey Scott, just a couple of questions if you don't mind.

When you play old tunes, are you reminded of the vocabulary you used to use more back then and incorporate it into the tunes? I heard a very nice 2013 version of the big wave that has the string skipping motif that you used to play in this tune and it was very interesting seeing how you revisited it.

Also, do you find it possible that when playing with the same guys for many years there is a mutual vocabulary growing to some extent?
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there's a part of the solo that became a memorable part of the tune, I guess I'd learn it again, or if there were difficult changes and I found some particularly good voice leading through them, that would be worth revisiting.

Playing with the same guys for a long time refines the music, regarding dynamics, interplay, energy, and especially creativity. Nothing's worse than playing compositions with a new band - everything sounds stiff and preconceived. It doesn't sound organic and the creativity level is low because everyone's just concentrating on playing the right notes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: