Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - Spears
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Spears

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
artlover

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:58 am    Post subject: Spears Reply with quote

Hi Scott, I had a question about the early Tribal tech albums, specifically Spears. I'm a really big fan of those albums and noticed a very strong tropical vibe throughout them, for example, Caribbean, Island City Shuttle etc. Also the use of steel drums and the steel drum synth sound on your guitar. I was wondering where did that influence come from? Would you say it was from growing up in South Florida? Did you listen to or hear a lot of tropical music during that time?

Thanks!
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

South Florida was partly the reason, only because some of my favorite musicians were playing there. I was always a fan of Othello Molineaux and steel drums in general. He played a lot in the Ft. Lauderdale area and I saw him play with Jaco many times. I'm sure his influence is there on the early Tribal Tech records.
criminel

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed that Dr. Hee and Nomad are now on Spotify (they werent until recently). Any chance for Spears?
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they're on Spotify, it had to be done illegally. Spears, Dr. Hee and Nomad are owned by Relativity Records, the label which released our 4th Tribal Tech album, and bought the rights to our first 3. Now they're a rap label and I seriously doubt if they even know or care that they own those records. They went out of print about 20 years ago and their lawyers refused to sell them back to us.
hipfreejazz

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Relativity was acquired by Sony. Tribal Tech discography released under the Relativity label is provided to online music platforms by Sony Music Entertainment. Maybe, you can contact them to regain ownership of your music.
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That makes sense now, because Mike Varney sold his whole catalogue to Sony. His relationship with them probably caused the release of those old records on Spotify. Sony doesn't sell it's masters, but that's OK because they're back on the market and I'm making money from them again, even if it's only a few cents from Spotify.
criminel

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply.
I own the physical cd's from way back then. I sincerely hope that you're getting at least those cents from Spotify. Their online catalog seems to change every other day. Still, it is a great tool to get to listen to old (and new) jazz records that are not available to us in any other form.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: