Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - Alex hutchings
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Alex hutchings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PetarDambovaliev

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:19 am    Post subject: Alex hutchings Reply with quote

Scott, do you like the newer generation of English players like Alex?
https://youtu.be/et5EwhNWoO0?t=7
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing technique, that's for sure. I like it and respect it but this style of playing isn't what I usually listen to.
stephane

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mr. Henderson, who are the musicians you are listening to ? Even the « old » or the « new » one ?
Thanks Very Happy !
PetarDambovaliev

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott Henderson wrote:
Amazing technique, that's for sure. I like it and respect it but this style of playing isn't what I usually listen to.

Any new cats you are listening to?
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a huge list so there's no way to fit it on a page. I'll give you an idea, but keep in mind that I'm leaving hundreds of people out.

I'm into funk and R&B - James Brown, Tower of Power, Sly Stone, Temptations, Beyonce, Stevie Wonder, Kool & the Gang, Earth Wind & Fire - many more.

Fusion - Weather Report is my favorite but I like Mahavishnu and other John McLaughlin projects, Herbie Hancock, Allan Holdsworth, etc. I like these artists because they're not just great players, but great composers, so I'd include Donald Fagen and Steely Dan. Also prog rock groups like Yes and Gentle Giant.

Blues & Rock - Jimi Hendrix, Ritchie Blackmore, Jeff Beck, Led Zeppelin, not just because of Jimi Page's playing but because of the great writing, Albert King, Johnny Winter, Rick Derringer, my good friends Kirk Fletcher and Mike Landau - this list could go on for a long time.

Classical - I love Beethoven, Bach and Mozart, but I'm more into Ravel, Debussy, Bartok, Scriabin - these are some of the modern composers who pretty much invented the harmony that jazz came from.

Jazz - this list is probably the biggest - Miles Davis, especially the band with Wayne, Herbie, Ron, and Tony, Cannonball Adderley, Keith Jarrett (he's amazing even though he's a dick), Chick Corea, (he's amazing even though he's a Scientologist), Toots Thielemans, Joe Henderson, Sonny Rollins, John Coltrane, Joshua Redman, Shamus Blake, Chris Potter. The list of jazz guitar players is also huge - Kurt Rosenwinkel, Nir Felder, John Scofield, Pat Metheny, my good friend Bruce Forman, Ted Greene, and my favorite solo guitarist of all time Philip DeGruy.

I'm not that into country music but some of the guitar players are great like Jerry Douglas, Chet Atkins, Junior Brown, Albert Lee, my buddy Steve Trovato, Johnny Hiland, Danny Gatton - many more.

I didn't mention opera or rap because I don't listen to it much, or shred metal because I don't listen to much of that either. Of the "fast" rock guitar players, my favorites are Eddie Van Halen, and even though he's said some of the dumbest shit ever, gotta love Yngwie because he's great.

Guys, please don't take this as an invitation to send me links to guitar players and ask my opinion about them - I'm not a music critic.

Last edited by Scott Henderson on Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:33 am; edited 1 time in total
PetarDambovaliev

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott Henderson wrote:
That's a huge list so there's no way to fit it on a page. I'll give you an idea, but keep in mind that I'm leaving hundreds of people out.

I'm into funk and R&B - James Brown, Tower of Power, Sly Stone, Temptations, Beyonce, Stevie Wonder, Kool & the Gang, Earth Wind & Fire - many more.

Fusion - Weather Report is my favorite but I like Mahavishnu and other John McLaughlin projects, Herbie Hancock, Allan Holdsworth, etc. I like these artists because they're not just great players, but great composers, so I'd include Donald Fagen and Steely Dan. Also prog rock groups like Yes and Gentle Giant.

Blues & Rock - Jimi Hendrix, Ritchie Blackmore, Jeff Beck, Led Zeppelin, not just because of Jimi Page's playing but because of the great writing, Albert King, Johnny Winter, Rick Derringer, my good friends Kirk Fletcher and Mike Landau - this list could go on for a long time.

Classical - I love Beethoven, Bach and Mozart, but I'm more into Ravel, Debussy, Bartok, Scriabin - these are some of the modern composers who pretty much invented the harmony that jazz came from.

Jazz - this list is probably the biggest - Miles Davis, especially the band with Wayne, Herbie, Ron, and Tony, Cannonball Adderley, Keith Jarrett (he's amazing even though he's a dick), Chick Corea, (he's amazing even though he's a Scientologist), Toots Thielemans, Joe Henderson, Sonny Rollins, John Coltrane, Joshua Redman, Shamus Blake, Chris Potter. The list of jazz guitar players is also huge - Kurt Rosenwinkel, Nir Felder, John Scofield, Pat Metheny, my good friend Bruce Forman, Ted Greene, and my favorite solo guitarist of all time Philip DeGruy.

I'm not that into country music but some of the guitar players are great like Jerry Douglas, Chet Atkins, Junior Brown, Albert Lee, my buddy Steve Trovato, Johnny Hiland, Danny Gatton - many more.

I didn't mention opera or rap because I don't listen to it much, or shred metal because I don't listen to much of that either. Of the "fast" rock guitar players, my favorites are Eddie Van Halen, and even though he's said some of the dumbest shit ever, gotta love Yngwie because he's great.

Guys, please don't take this as an invitation to send me links to guitar players and ask my opinion about them - I'm not a music critic.

Great, we have similar tastes.
I think people, like myself, are asking you what you think about person X is because you of how respected you are by us, the fans.
But it must be tedious to have countless people send you links to listen to, fair enough.
stephane

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott Henderson wrote:

Fusion - Weather Report is my favorite but I like Mahavishnu and other John McLaughlin projects, Herbie Hancock, Allan Holdsworth, etc. I like these artists because they're not just great players, but great composers, so I'd include Donald Fagien and Steely Dan. Also prog rock groups like Yes and Gentle Giant.

Many thanks Very Happy !
peter_heijnen

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott Henderson wrote:
...Keith Jarrett (he's amazing even though he's a dick), Chick Corea, (he's amazing even though he's a Scientologist)...

Mr. Green
PetarDambovaliev

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter_heijnen wrote:
Scott Henderson wrote:
...Keith Jarrett (he's amazing even though he's a dick), Chick Corea, (he's amazing even though he's a Scientologist)...

Mr. Green

I just don't understand how batshit crazy someone needs to be to believe the Scientology story.
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel that way about all of it. Talking snakes, a zombie savior, all the animals in a boat..... a lot of the teachings in religion make sense, do unto others, etc, but the stories.... it all sounds bat shit crazy to me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: