Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - Primary Location!
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Primary Location!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Louis

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:41 am    Post subject: Primary Location! Reply with quote

I feel like this song was written for me! It is everything I love about music condensed into 7 minutes. Man, it gets me excited to be alive! Thank you so, so much!

Being a guitar geek, I must ask what you have going on with the rhythm guitar part. Fat synth sound! The lead tone is also fantastic. Some of it seems a bit more processed than what you usually do. I can hear some of those new pedals deeper in the track. I love finding those few seconds here and there when there is some crazy effect in the back. You are a master at that.

Looking forward to seeing you again in Asia this year!

--Louis, in Taipei
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much, that was a really fun tune to record!

The rhythm guitar at the beginning is a Roger Mayer Voodoo One pedal through my Fender Bandmaster. I used that pedal a lot on Tore Down House and kind of re-discovered it on this album. It's running through the Soundtoys FilterFreak plug-in, mainly to make it stereo, but you can hear a slight bit of the envelope filter in there.

The solo is the Partspipe Klon into my Marshall. The main solo is the Klon into an Emma DiscomBOBulator envelope filter pedal, and the second solo is the Klon into a wah.

I also used the Meris Ottobot Jr. during the solo, trying to replicate the sound of Jerry Falwell Jr. being fried in the electric chair. I feel like I've barely scratched the surface of what that pedal can do. It's very unpredictable and fun!

A lot of the other tones on this song, especially the ones after the guitar solos, are from my original composition sequence, recorded with a Pandora PX5-D. I guess the inflections and phrasing are often the result of whatever you're playing through. I tried replacing those phrases with a real amp but I couldn't seem to record anything I liked better than what was already there.
Thumberstrummer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glorious tune, Scott!
Same as the whole album!
Serious soloing and comping and layering in there
Kinda masterpiece you got us used to through the years.
I have also to say that I see an increased interplay, especially in some tunes. Romain and Archibald look like being glued together!
And their interaction with your phrasing is at the top.
Many thanks for this new music gem!

Fabio
fusion58

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Primary Location! Reply with quote

Louis wrote:
I feel like this song was written for me! It is everything I love about music condensed into 7 minutes. Man, it gets me excited to be alive! Thank you so, so much!

Being a guitar geek, I must ask what you have going on with the rhythm guitar part. Fat synth sound! The lead tone is also fantastic. Some of it seems a bit more processed than what you usually do. I can hear some of those new pedals deeper in the track. I love finding those few seconds here and there when there is some crazy effect in the back. You are a master at that.

Looking forward to seeing you again in Asia this year!

--Louis, in Taipei

Co-signed!

The whole record is just kicking my ass six ways from Sunday, "Primary Location" in particular.

That tune is like funk from Pluto or something (and I mean that in a good way.)

Still scraping my jaw off the floor after the umpteenth listen.
fusion58

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott Henderson wrote:

I also used the Meris Ottobot Jr. during the solo, trying to replicate the sound of Jerry Falwell Jr. being fried in the electric chair.

Now THAT would be worth the price of admission. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: