Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - New Scott Henderson interview here
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

New Scott Henderson interview here

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scottl

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 2:43 pm    Post subject: New Scott Henderson interview here Reply with quote

I am a doof with my foot in my mouth... Sorry Rick!

Last edited by scottl on Wed Jun 16, 2004 6:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
Matt Gordon

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way funny Scott! I'm going to read the whole article asap. Laughing
Matt Gordon

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually he seems pretty cool with it. I couldn't find the clips, but the interviewer did a pretty good job of getting Scott to open up about the music. I thinks its totally cool that Scott would be into Junior Brown, because Junior is such a departure from the mainstream. Very cool indeed!! Smile
scottl

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are clips on The Derringers web site. Pretty basic rockabilly. Like a dumbed down Setzer. It just bugged me that the interviewer was vibing that the Rick dude is on Henderson's level.

Fwiw, Gannon Arnold is a great great player!

Scott
kirk95
StarShip Captain

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link scott!

Quote:
Yet in the U.S. his club dates typically draw a couple hundred fans, while his European shows draw double that or more everywhere and anywhere he plays. Could be due in part to the fact that you can actually hear Scott’s killer improv-based music on the radio in Europe, while U.S. radio is increasingly corporate-run and nearly mono-textural at this point.

Why is this? It totally sucks! Mad
vladorg

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kirk95 wrote:
Thanks for the link scott!

Quote:
Yet in the U.S. his club dates typically draw a couple hundred fans, while his European shows draw double that or more everywhere and anywhere he plays. Could be due in part to the fact that you can actually hear Scott’s killer improv-based music on the radio in Europe, while U.S. radio is increasingly corporate-run and nearly mono-textural at this point.

Why is this? It totally sucks! Mad

Ok Dave,
here's what me thinks.Being from Bulgaria I can confirm that if Scott Henderson went there he'd definitely get a much bigger audience than he's ever gonna get here.Sad but true!Now why?I think one of the reasons is simply that people or should i say jazz fans don't get to see many of their favourite foreign musicians as much over there.Another reason is that usually when there's a jazz concert it's usually a part of a bigger festival of the same type-the advertising is huge,the publicity is huge-and those types of festivals are usually held in the biggest/best places.Bulgaria,as well as many of the European contries,is a relatively small country so travelling is not a big deal especially for such rare events.On the other hand,nobody gives a shit about Bulgarian jazz and jazz musicians.Probably now,there is no single club dedicated to playing jazz music live and I doubt that you could hear jazz in any club there even on a certain designated evening.While in university in Bulgaria I lived for about 3 years with one of my best friends who is also one of the best jazz guitarist in Bulgaria and the guy after 12 or so years trying to make a living out of playing jazz he gave it up-luckily he had a degree in mathematics and computer science so he got a day job @ the age of 31.The closest to ever being on a record he got was a couple of demoes-one of his own acoustic playing and the other one with a crappy funk band.The same way some of the best jazz horn players in Bulgaria almost gave up playing jazz and can usually be found doing sessions or as mainstay horn sections of pop and ska bands.I could go on and on giving you examples of how people do not care at all about jazz music over there although there are many musicians who are trying to play jazz.To sum it up,my point was that I think the only reason US jazz musicians get more attention in Europe is that things like that don't happen there on a regular basis and when they do it's always a big thing(and it's the way it should be)so pretty much people know that if they miss this one time they may never get another chance soon.
Going back to the interview with Scott I don't even think that the numbers for attendance were even right.The only time I saw Scott(almost an year and a half ago)in Philly there were maybe around 50 people-i couldn't believe it-and the place was horrible.Ask Scott L he was there ,too.The best attendance that I've seen at a jazz show here was at last year's Elektric Band concert in DC and I think that there were probably about 250 people.
On a more positive note, thank God for satellite radio.At least they have several dedicated jazz channels where they play jazz non-stop and you can even catch a Tribal Tech tune somewhere in there.
Phew,that a was long post especially for early morning Shocked I'm out.

Vlad
scottl

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a hole in the wall!!! Worst club I ever saw a concert in!! On the other hand, it was small and I sat on the edge of the stage in front of Scott for part of it Smile

Amazing gig!

I also got to meet Vlad. Nice guy and great player!!

Scott
vladorg

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scottl wrote:
On the other hand, it was small and I sat on the edge of the stage in front of Scott for part of it Smile

Scott is absolutely right.BTW,that's one of the things that I like most about jazz shows here-being able to sit or stand about 7-8 feet away from the players.Can't beat that.

Vlad
Matt Gordon

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scottl wrote:
There are clips on The Derringers web site. Pretty basic rockabilly. Like a dumbed down Setzer. It just bugged me that the interviewer was vibing that the Rick dude is on Henderson's level.

Fwiw, Gannon Arnold is a great great player!

Scott
I think a lot of guys get to Scott's blues stuff first [opposite of me, maybe even you] and say, "ok, he plays the blues pretty good, so?" But to understand his total ability a listener has to do a little more digging into the past, and then one really starts to understand the enormity of the guy. WHen Scott takes off during his solo in "Big Wave", you really get the sense that Scott has extra hands, more than one picking hand, and a few extra fretting fingers. At that point, the gene pool does diminish for players on the level as Scott. I see your uncomfortability with the issue as legit. I'm glad we can talk about this without the trolls that often post when the subject of real talent comes up, the comparisons of people like Scott, and say, Kurt Cobain. Its all good, yes-yes, but the two are different matters!! Laughing
Zyryab

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt Gordon wrote:
WHen Scott takes off during his solo in "Big Wave", you really get the sense that Scott has extra hands, more than one picking hand, and a few extra fretting fingers.

Yes, you are right Matt. I get the same feeling also in Mango Prom's solo and Stoopid's solo so much. Scott's magic hands...He is really incredible!Can anyone send the transcriptions please?Smile
Human Tornado

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 7:35 pm    Post subject: "Generic Mediocre Rockabilly guy" here Reply with quote

Hi Scott - Adam is pretty revved up over us, he helped us get hooked up w/Steve Vai. I didn't see the article on guitar.com, but if Scott wasn't overwhelmed with Adam's enthusiasm over The Dillengers I wouldn't be surprised. He is monstrous. We are apples and oranges compared to him to be sure. Or more like rotten apples compared to his oranges Wink
Scott & I go way back - I actually got a few lessons from him before I figured out I was over my head and decided to dig into Scotty Moore and Albert King, stuff I could nail. Scott called me his favorite blues player a long time ago, he was probably drunk %)~

I'm disappointed that you consider me mediocre.. I'd rather be told I suck!! But I'm doing OK, got a Roots-Style Playalong CD/book through Mel Bay available, and our record is out on Favored Nations - it's called Instro-Mania and is a tribute to surf & movie instrumentals of the 60's. It ain't rocket science, but ask Scott what he thinks about it.

You are welcome to your opinion about me, that's what makes this country great! And any press is good press!

Flat fives,
Rick R/The Dillengers
Matt Gordon

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scotty Moore chops are some very serious chops Rick, so don't be so damned humble!! Laughing Scott Henderson said that he'd rather hear Albert drop his guitar than a million notes-a-second shred. Great thing about jazz is that you can jump in and out whenever you need a good lesson, or to infuse a little spice into one's playing. It's like free school for a lot of us, because I come from blues and country mostly, that jazz material keeps me from becoming stale and bored. I have to get some Scotty Moore material.
Human Tornado

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 1:35 pm    Post subject: Thanks Matt! Reply with quote

I dig it all.. to me there's 2 kinds of music - good or not good. Check out the Sun Sessions or Sunrise; it's ground zero for rockabilly stuff.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: