Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - <Updated> Ever wondered what scale to play over which
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

<Updated> Ever wondered what scale to play over which

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> The Theory Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
misery

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 3:03 am    Post subject: <Updated> Ever wondered what scale to play over which Reply with quote

I've been working on this for months now. A table of what scales, arpeggios and triads to play over different chords commonly found in jazz and fusion. The information is gathered from various sources: Scott Henderson's video Jazz Fusion, the book Guitar Lessons With The Greats, John Scofield's video On Improvisation, the tables from Scott Lerner's website, other websites and a little research on my own. Here it is:

http://teinum.no/alexander/Note_Choice.pdf

This table uses paralell thinking.

Example: To play in lydian over a C major chord

On the right of the Cmaj7 column it says 5, which is from where you want to play the major scale. The fifth degree of the C major scale is C D E F ...yup... G. This means that you should play G major over the C major chord. So don't get confused by paralell thinking and deriving from a major scale. You're moving the major scale itself around, not starting at another degree inside the major scale of the chord.

Other useful goodies

I've also made a table of the major harmony and the melodic minor harmony. The major harmony table follows the circle of fifths, and also functions as a circle of fifths. Far on the left you can see how many #'s and b's there are in the different keys. The melodic minor table follows the same order of keys to look more familiar.

The tables includes the different chords of the scale, extensions and modes, which can be useful. To find the paralell minor of a major chord, F# major for instance, look F# major up in the table and you've got E# at the sixth degree.

http://teinum.no/alexander/Major_Harmony.pdf
http://teinum.no/alexander/Melodic_Minor_Harmony.pdf

I'm open to suggestions on how to improve these tables.
misery

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've made a new and improved version of the table:

http://teinum.no/alexander/Table_of_Note_Choice.pdf
El_Nombre

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i havent looked at those, and maybe i never will. but nonethe less, true gent are thee for making it
morko

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi man, congrats on a great job !

I did such a map myself some time ago, using the Frank GambaleTechnique books as a base. You should check these books also.

If anyone explains how to post my map right here (Word format), I'll do it ! On one page, you'll have all the info needed. Razz
davidp158

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:30 pm    Post subject: link not working? Reply with quote

I realize this is an old post, but I'm wondering if anyone has the PDF mentioned in this thread, or a new link. I'd like to check it out.

thanks for your time,
Dave
majkel111

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here. Hope it's not too late for that.

cheers

Mike
samuelddarden

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for sharing this interesting thread on how to play in Lydian using C major chord. I have no talent in playing a musical instruments but my brother is very talented when it comes to music. He can play guitar, drum and piano. I will send this to him so he can study the pattern. If you want to play Klondike Adventures you need to download app from emulatorpc. For more like this game, I highly suggested to visit their website now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> The Theory Corner All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: