Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - If we dig Scott what other players should we be listening to
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

If we dig Scott what other players should we be listening to
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Open Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kirk95
StarShip Captain

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 3:37 pm    Post subject: If we dig Scott what other players should we be listening to Reply with quote

If we dig Scott what other players should we be listening to?

Ok Lerner, take it away.......... Shocked
PierreL

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Landau and Robben Ford immediately come to mind of course.
They have so much in common : the search for the perfect tone, their blues sensibilities , their improvisation abilities. And they all play ( or played ) a Dumble Smile
I would add Shane Theriot, I really like his Grease Factor CD.

PS : as regards to Dumble amps to and Scott, here is what John Ziegler said on the Hugeboard today :
Quote:
i talked to scott last night for a while and he is gigging with his bandmaster/dumble tonight....including it with the od100 rig...

so it's gonna be od100 into a 4/x12 and dumble/bandmaster into 4x10...

i think this is gonna be super sweeeeeeeeet for scott!

he said it totally gives him a "stereo-ish" spread out and huge tone now!

if you're here in LA...definitely try to make it to la ve lee tonight 5/19 for the throwdown!
jbear

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Along with the usual recommendations (Ford, Holdsworth, J. Beck, etc.) Check out some lesser knowns: The Jonathan Kreisberg Trio (he gigs in NY now, but he released a CD in the early '90's that is in the same genre), Scott McGill, Steve Topping, James Muller, Kurt Rosenwinkel, and Wayne Krantz come immediately to mind.
scottl

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbear wrote:
Along with the usual recommendations (Ford, Holdsworth, J. Beck, etc.) Check out some lesser knowns: The Jonathan Kreisberg Trio (he gigs in NY now, but he released a CD in the early '90's that is in the same genre), Scott McGill, Steve Topping, James Muller, Kurt Rosenwinkel, and Wayne Krantz come immediately to mind.

Me thinks there is a fish out of water in the above list.... Although Scott McGill is a nice player in a kind of clone Holdsworth Prog Rock way, he is not in the same universe as Muller, Rosenwinkel, Krantz, Ford, etc...... If you like Ford, Sco, Krantz, Hendy, etc... You probably would not dig McGill. Nice guy though. He lives about 15 minutes from me. Great rock leagto chops for sure.

Not being negative here, just chiming in for those who never heard him. He has very very little relation to Henderson's style.

Kreisberg is fantastic btw. His new straight ahead bop stuff is terrific!!!! Add Adam Rogers in here. One of my faves.

Scott
jbear

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No argument from me on those points. I was just thowing out names folks might like...not necessarily players who are all on the same level.
scottl

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile

Email me Jbear. I can HOOK you up big.

Scott
Sindri

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is pretty O.T, but Scott's phrasing reminds sometimes of Coltrane; fluid, atonal/melodic lines and perfect timing! I recommend Giant Steps, Coltrane's Sound and My Favorite Things.
fusion58

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also recommend Mike Miller.

Mike replaced Frank Gambale briefly in Chick Corea's Elektric Band II, and recorded a modern fusion classic called "Band Overboard" with a group called "The Outsidemen" featuring Ralph Humphrey on drums and the late Jim Lacefield on bass. Mike's most recent solo CD (released a couple years ago) was "Save the Moon." Last I checked, some of these discs were still availible at Audiophile Imports.

Mike is another guitarist who has deep roots in blues, rock, and R&B in addition to a formidable command of the jazz lexicon.

Anyone who likes Henderson or Ford should dig Mike Miller's playing as well.
PierreL

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I recently re-listened to Band Overboard and it's a great album.
jbear

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody know what Bill Connors or Carlos Rios have disappeared to? I know that Connors was teaching several years ago, but those are two monsters I'd love to hear from again.
itisibby

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jimi Tunnell's Trilateral Comission has a lot of common with Scott's style.
Also check out the Richard Hallebeek Project (RHP). Richard told me he was very much influenced by the music of Scott, especially his 80's recordings.
Finally Jac La Greca combined the syncopatic ideas of Scott with the legato-style of Holdsworth (CD: Ipsis Quest).
clovis

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard Jimi Tunnel open for Holdsworth in Denton. I wouldn't say he's got anything to do with Henderson. At least not what I heard. It was more like Phil Collins playing Holdsworth licks on guitar. He's definately original....a lot of what he was doing just went over my head....esp. his singing.

I would say if you like Henderson, then you should check out Muller, Kriesberg, Rogers, Liebman w/ Vic Juris....Jonathan Kriesberg esp has such an amazing bop style on guitar...I have one of his CDs and it's SICK.

John R
itisibby

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clovis wrote:
I heard Jimi Tunnel open for Holdsworth in Denton. I wouldn't say he's got anything to do with Henderson. At least not what I heard. It was more like Phil Collins playing Holdsworth licks on guitar. He's definately original....a lot of what he was doing just went over my head....esp. his singing.

Mmm. Not much singing on Trilateral Commission, so I stay with my opinion on this one. Btw. Jimmy's also on Dennis Chambers' Getting Even (next to John Scofield).
Mr.Hanky

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fut the Wuk!?

Nobody mentioned Mike Stern!!
What is going on here?
I have seen him twice in NYC, he is a true monster and will forever warp your fragile mind.
vladorg

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nguyen Le-sounds a lot like Henderson sometimes,definitely one of the greats.Check out Purple,the album with Erskine and 3 Trios.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Open Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: