Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - Tribal Tech's best composition?
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Tribal Tech's best composition?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Carl

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 6:17 pm    Post subject: Tribal Tech's best composition? Reply with quote

Which ONE really gets you?

I know there are so many... but which one really grabs you as your most favorite?

I like "Jakarta"--- so atmospheric and such a killer melody.

Carl
jbear

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't even know how to begin to pick. I guess I could just start listing tunes... The only ones that DON'T do it for me are on Rocket Science and a few on Thick. I'm just not into that whole ring modulator thing (it think that's the sound I'm hearing...very metallic overtones) and the open tunes are good, but I'd like to hear some more meat in the guitar work. I keep waiting for the guitar to dance and then the tune ends and it just doesn't happen. Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike that stuff, I just don't find it as tasty and grabbing as say..."The Big Wave," which roars.
bertsprs

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbear wrote:
I wouldn't even know how to begin to pick. I guess I could just start listing tunes... The only ones that DON'T do it for me are on Rocket Science and a few on Thick. I'm just not into that whole ring modulator thing (it think that's the sound I'm hearing...very metallic overtones) and the open tunes are good, but I'd like to hear some more meat in the guitar work. I keep waiting for the guitar to dance and then the tune ends and it just doesn't happen. Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike that stuff, I just don't find it as tasty and grabbing as say..."The Big Wave," which roars.

I know what you're sayin' about the ring mod. I like the way he uses it on tracks like Stella by Infrared where he uses it as a supplement to his normal guitar sound but there is just too much for my taste on RS. Thick, on the other hand, has some of my very favorite solos of Scott's but what pisses me off more than anything else is that some get faded out, like Jalapeno (i think that's right...track 3). He's murdering the solo and someone decides, "let's fade it out there." I hate that guy. Slick, however, makes up for any complaints i have with that album.

Since this is about compositions i guess we can't include Thick or Rocket Science...maybe we could start a discussion about favorite Solos though. Slick starts with one of my favorite Willis solos and ends with one of Scott's most intense solos. Anyway, on to my favorite tunes.

Favorite Scott tunes:
Carribean
Signal Path
Sub Aqua
Root Food
Susie's Dingsbums
Favorite Gary tunes:
Necessary Blonde
Big Wave
Babylon
Face First
Speak
Premonition
Favorite Other tunes:
After Hours (Kinsey)
Foreign Affairs (Kinsey)
Fight The Giant (Goldblatt)

Uh oh, looks like Gary beats Scott by one...and i think Kinsey's two for two. Guess I should buy Kinsey's album..or they should let him write more.

Bert
Matt Gordon

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a Kinsey fan big time. Man, nobody plays like him. He can lock onto a beat and stay in pocket, or play way out. He adds so much to Tribal Tech, wouldn't even be the same band without him. Wonder if he's still using the Nord Electro, but his work all over TT has me totally plugged in. I thought he was going to put out a solo CD? There are so many great players named Scott, think I'll change my name! Confused But Kinseys work on Babylon, his syncapation just kills me. I'm going to go out a little and say he's up there with Chic, but Scott is more like a jazz musician, not so married to a script. But I've listened to Chic play loose, and he can play a lot of stuff, so many styles. I love Sultans Boogie, just about everything.
S-zhen

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say The Necessary Blonde.
That's Gary Willis' tune if I don't remember wrong, and I also think Gary is one of the best writers I have ever come across. Dense Dance, Ancient Promise, Self Defense, etc.
Everything on NB is so accutely sensitive, and I just feel totally enwrapped whenever I hear it.
Tribal Tech, when they're on, is the most excellent group ever to me.

Bear
intervallicdesign

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite Scott tunes are "Black Cherry" and "Torque", and my favorite Willis tunes are "Wasteland" and "Dense Dance".
But really, when you're talking about composers of this caliber, there is no such thing as a bad composition.
peace
vladorg

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh man,
my favourite TT tunes....all of them Very Happy Right off the top of my head though:

Saturn 5
Sub Aqua
Elvis At the Hop
Got Tuh Be
Big wave
Foreign affairs
Black Cherry
Tunnel Vision
Root Food
Mini Me
Stoopid.....

.....and the list is to be continued.

Vlad
DoctorHee

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Hee, of course. Smile

Just kidding. I like at least one tune from every CD, and for myself tend to like the later CDs more (Thick, Rocket Science) even though they're more intense listening experiences.

I can put the early TT CDs on in the background and still get some work done. Not true for the later stuff -- it demands concentrated listening.
jimmy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carl....a great question. I can't pick just one so I'll give my favorite from each recording

SPEARS: Title Track
Dr. HEE: Mango Prom
NOMAD: Bofat
TRIBAL TECH: Dense Dance (Necessary Blonde a close second)
ILLICIT: Paha-Sapa
FACE FIRST: Title Track (Willis is a percolating funk maniac!)
REALITY CHECK: Stella by Starlight
THICK: Jalapeno
ROCKET SCIENCE: Title Track ( I, unlike others, dig the ring modulator)

Wish we had a tenth recording to add to the list.
Tim Goynes

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of mine told me a funny story from back when he was at USC. Scott came to give a clinic, and the guitar ensemble performed some old Tribal Tech tunes (ones written by Scott) at their concert, which Scott attended. Afterwards, Scott said, "That was great, real cool....but man, I hate my old tunes...they're like, too happy...they're gay...like, you play them and you get AIDS or something." Wink

Of course, I (as do probably 99% of us here) like a lot of his old tunes though! I really like the super-tight arrangements. As far as a favorite TT tune, though, well I'm gonna have to list several.

Mango Prom
Big Girl Blues
Elvis at the Hop
Big Wave
Stoopid
Nite Club
Moonshine
Rituals (the version on Well to the Bone)

...and pretty much every other tune they do too!

Regards,
Tim G.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: