Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - crazy acoustic
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

crazy acoustic

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Open Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jones

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:26 am    Post subject: crazy acoustic Reply with quote

you should all take a look at this video, the player is justin king (www.justinking.com)...
I find he has the best tone on a acoustic I've ever heard...(aspecially the slap/tap stuff...)
just take a look at it...

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/video/guitar.asx

(you can also listen to fragments of his solo album on the website)
wuc

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you saying that the playing in this clip has the best tone on acoustic you've ever heard? It's certainly impressive in a 'hitting your guitar is cool' kind of way but I'm not sure I get the tone thing. Right hand sort of reminds me of flamenco technique. Does he also play in a more musical style?

Cheers, wuc.
jordan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Technically impressive? Absolutely.
Fun to watch? Absolutely.

Great tone? Far from it.

If you're impressed by that style of acoustic, there's a long line of players who are known for being "percussive": Michael Hedges, Preston Reed, Thomas Leeb, Eric Roche, Tommy Emmanuel (in places).....etc etc.

If you want examples of great tone, check out Pierre Bensusan and Martin Simpson - both of which are less "flashy" but generate astounding tone from their acoustics.
wuc

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jordan wrote:

If you're impressed by that style of acoustic, there's a long line of players who are known for being "percussive": Michael Hedges, Preston Reed, Thomas Leeb, Eric Roche, Tommy Emmanuel (in places).....etc etc.

I'm sure all the other guys there would be well pleased that you sat Michael Hedges alongside them.
In no way at all did that video-clip remind me of him.

However, if you're into your contemporary acoustic stuff you should own a copy of Hedges' 'Aerial Boundaries' and also Pierre Bensusan's 'Intuite'.
This is where the MUSIC is, imho ;-)

I really like Martin Simpson but you'll find that he does a lot of 'song'...some of it is very traditional/ancient folk.
Nothing wrong with that of course - you've just got to know what you're getting into.
Alun

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice. I must admit I like his tone - perfect for that kind of style. Now I'm off to go and work out his right hand technique and steal it Very Happy

Alun
frankus

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also check out Kaki King (no relation Wink)

I have the power!
Oracle Guttars

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:21 am    Post subject: Seem they all have thier strengths Reply with quote

All of the above mentioned have thier strengths.......Hedges with his tech,king with her precision,bensusan with his melody......Good call on all parts........Nice to hear about hedges again........an old friend......
Resi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, talk about thread resurrection.

Anyhow, I don't think that's very impressive at all compared to other players like Antonio Forcione who can take anything you throw at them, including the slapping/popping/tap stuff as opposed to being a one trick pony.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Open Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: