Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Is this a new golden era of shred ?
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is this a new golden era of shred ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
milin_im

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Resi wrote:
alexkhan wrote:
I've seen all the video clips of this new generation of shredders and shred bands. Needless to say, I won't be buying their CD's or try to seek them out to play Suhr guitars. Wink

Quote:
ESP/LTD, Jackson and Ibanez are offerring huge arrays of Floyd Rose powered super-strats (which were almost extinct 5 years ago). Kramer is back (sort of).

Well, we'll be going after these guys hard in the higher-end of the market with the planned Pro Series 24-fret models with or without Floyd Rose, including a GG Artist model that will have a US street price of well below $2000 (probably in the $1700~1800 range). It'll be based on Guthrie's Cherry SB Mahogany Standard with the reverse headstock. It's going to be an awesome guitar for the money that more serious players will be able to afford.

We'll also have a Rob Marcello Pro Series Artist model with Alder body and Maple neck, reverse headstock, Floyd Rose, our hottest humbucker in the bridge position, a DiMarzio Fast Track single-coil in the neck and just one volume knob. Should be a killer shred machine. Twisted Evil

I'm happy that the kids are getting into these new bands with fast guitar playing and whatever. They'll eventually grow up and grow out of it and will soon discover Guthrie. Then they'll see what really great guitar playing is all about and get to enjoy real music! Wink

Will there be a maple fretboard edition available?

Sounds great so far.

When can we expect these guitars Ed? Very Happy . I was saving up for a high end guitar and it seems it will be one of those if they come at those prices.
milin_im

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I downloaded a Dragonforce concert because I had never heard of them before and IMO they're really bad. They play fast, ok, but they can't even pull out decent melodies. Their melodies sound like beginner guitarrist I must say.
RD

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think one of the problems these days is that you have to search hard for decent musical input. When I still listened to the radio and watched mtv, there were way more influences, even in pop music, that was quite inspirational.

You had Phill Collins with Genesis for example. Now perhaps this man doesn't really fit into this Guthrie scene here, but he was/is most definitely a musician who could compose, sing and play drums. Some songs are very nicely crafted.

You also had Guns 'n Roses, who were, at least back then, way more creative then a lot of theses so called "rock" bands you have today. Guns 'n Roses were the reason I started to play guitar.

Now you got all that rap and hiphop that is basicly about talking on a beat. No decent composition, melody or instrumental playing; just materialistic pimp nonsense and talk about the eastcoast being better then the westcoast. I do give them credit for creating a new artform, but it's a verbal art, instead of a musical one. Rappers are rappers; no musicians. I do like the black female asses though. For that matter the rap vids are great; as long as the sound is muted.

Seriously, name ONE decent guitarist on MTV today. I could only come up with Carlos Santana, but he doesn't really cut for me either. But if you HAVE to name someone who could do more then only the basics (1st position chords, boring solos and powerchords) then it would probably be Santana.

Despite the lack of decent musical input from MTV, you do have the internet wich people use more and more to get what they want. I sometimes read comments on those youtube pages where Shawn Lane or Guthrie clips are often uploaded. You can see that there's definitely interest in virtuos playing, although there are lot's of morronic posts as well ofcourse.

Perhaps there are better times ahead indeed, although I don't think Guthrie's music will ever be mainstream. I think if you want instrumental music to work for mainstream, it must be easy to listen too with a good musical theme and no extra notes exept for the ones that are absolutely essential to make the melody flow. Or the virtuous stuff should be combined with singing, like this song that Shawn Lane and the Willies perform here:

Shawn Lane and the Willies (great solo):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRJASxBRITY&mode=related&search=

I tell you; a pop song like that one combined with a killer solo just fu**ing ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love that stuff!!!!
Yngtchie Blacksteen

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just hope people getting into shred will know the difference between Govan and Fareri, and not just go with any fast-fingered kid with a webcam, because shred is somehow 'cool' again. Looking at the playing of Mark Tremonti, for instance, that sometimes seems to be the case. Kids are shocked when they witness Tremonti's amazing instrumental prowess, but we know it's just rudimentary wank-a-thons. Still, his songs are peppered with fast and unmusical solos of that nature, regardless of whether it fits or not. The licks should serve the music, you shouldn't just wank off in every other solo just because you've learned a new and fancy lick.

That video you posted, of Shawn on YouTube, that's a great example of fitting fast licks into a musical format. It doesn't sound like he's showing off, it just sounds like a natural extension of his initial solo. That's what I want, fast licks that don't sound forced, but rather flowing and natural-sounding. But that requires musicality, and you can't learn that from doing sweep exercises found on Ultimate-Guitar.
RD

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I totally agree with you.
thinline72

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

#2 most popular youtube video today:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzBht22d4ts&eurl=

Arkadiy Starodoub -- some guy from Moscow.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It won't take real long for new "shred" fans or kids to know the difference between, say, Dragonforce or Fareri and Guthrie or Lane. They'll know it after they've mastered playing scales and arpeggios real fast up and down the neck and then get to the point of actually coming up with something of their own. Only then will they see how long the road ahead is and that it only gets harder and harder. They have to figure it out on their own. And they will... Well, some may never get it but some surely will - the ones who realize that, in the end, it's all about making music.

On a side note, Mark Tremonti visited the Suhr booth to test the OD-100 amp. He seemed like a nice enough guy considering his "star" status. He plugged in and, I must say, I was kind of shocked by how bad he was. I remember seeing that NAMM video of a clinic/show sponsored by PRS in which hardly anything was audible and figured that he must be okay to get up on stage with those guys and make some noise. But when I saw him playing at the booth, he sounded like a thousand other kids you see wanking at Guitar Center on a Saturday afternoon. But, hey, if he has fun doing something he never got to do on those multi-million selling albums, all the power to him!
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
RD

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it's probably pointless to bash other people, no matter how annoying the movement can be that they are part of.
milin_im

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexkhan wrote:
It won't take real long for new "shred" fans or kids to know the difference between, say, Dragonforce or Fareri and Guthrie or Lane. They'll know it after they've mastered playing scales and arpeggios real fast up and down the neck and then get to the point of actually coming up with something of their own. Only then will they see how long the road ahead is and that it only gets harder and harder. They have to figure it out on their own. And they will... Well, some may never get it but some surely will - the ones who realize that, in the end, it's all about making music.

On a side note, Mark Tremonti visited the Suhr booth to test the OD-100 amp. He seemed like a nice enough guy considering his "star" status. He plugged in and, I must say, I was kind of shocked by how bad he was. I remember seeing that NAMM video of a clinic/show sponsored by PRS in which hardly anything was audible and figured that he must be okay to get up on stage with those guys and make some noise. But when I saw him playing at the booth, he sounded like a thousand other kids you see wanking at Guitar Center on a Saturday afternoon. But, hey, if he has fun doing something he never got to do on those multi-million selling albums, all the power to him!

That's probably because you're used to see guthrie ripping it up and wouldn't expect anything less lol Very Happy
robbrooks

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just catching up on some one these new guys courtesy of YouTube.

My word! How can anyone not hear that most of this is just a noise?

I love sweep picking done well ( I mean to the standard of Jason Becker ) but these chaps are so messy and missing the point.

It's quite amusing reading the replies from their adoring fanbase though.

Laughing

Looking forward to getting my Guthrie CD........
alexkhan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

milin_im wrote:

When can we expect these guitars Ed? Very Happy . I was saving up for a high end guitar and it seems it will be one of those if they come at those prices.

We hope to have the prototypes shown at Winter NAMM in January. When we'll be able to ship is a question we can't answer right now when we're nearly a year backordered on the first Pro Series model. We're working mighty hard to reduce that backlog. Realistically speaking, 2nd quarter of 2007 doesn't seem unreasonable.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

milin_im wrote:

That's probably because you're used to see guthrie ripping it up and wouldn't expect anything less lol Very Happy

Well, I also love Landau, Pat Metheny, Jeff Beck, Scott Henderson, Jimi Hendrix, Doug Aldrich, Carl Verheyen, Joel Hoekstra, Shawn Lane, David Gilmour, Kirk Fletcher, Paco DeLucia, Brett Garsed, Tommy Emmanuel, Eric Johnson, and so many others that the list will literally go on forever. These are all amazing players in their own right and you will never hear me say that Guthrie is "better" than these players because it's all subjective and truly great players have their own individual personality which no one can ever take away from them.

The same goes for Guthrie. He's got his own distinctive style and tone that, to me, is as unique and recognizable as any out there. Guthrie sounds like Guthrie even though he can emulate many players and styles out there. I love players who have their own thing. They don't have to be a "monster" like Guthrie and some other names mentioned above to grab my interest. A certain level of technical proficiency is a given these days; it's all about what one can do with it and what interesting musical ideas one can come up with.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
milin_im

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just messing with you Ed Twisted Evil
alexkhan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

milin_im wrote:

I know, I know. Wink But I have to protect myself from the uninitiated, you know what I mean? Very Happy
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
milin_im

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexkhan wrote:
milin_im wrote:

I know, I know. Wink But I have to protect myself from the uninitiated, you know what I mean? Very Happy

Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: