Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - "Guthrie is a shredder"?
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Guthrie is a shredder"?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yngtchie Blacksteen

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texter wrote:
I think it's funny that Katrina is still sitting behind her computer like this Shocked Amazed by what she's unleashed today hehe. Maybe it even made her cry Confused

I heard that Neil Young dedicated "Like A Hurricane" to her...

Was that in bad taste? Question
Texter

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yngtchie Blacksteen wrote:
Was that in bad taste? Question

Huh, what?
Yngtchie Blacksteen

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katrina jokes, never know who gets offended. Razz
Texter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I know Wink
James W

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to think of Guthrie more as a musician than a shredder.
Glenn

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it when he plays really fast.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

James W wrote:
I tend to think of Guthrie more as a musician than a shredder.

That's how I always try to explain Guthrie - a great musician who happens to play the guitar.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
I like it when he plays really fast.

I like it too! Very Happy
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
ShredMeister

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexkhan wrote:
Yeah, I agree that it gets kind of counterproductive if you go on another player's forum (and Jemsite is obviously a Vai-biased site) and tell them that another player is "better" than that player to whom the site/forum is dedicated. Even if it's true... We have to remember that Vai was a major influence during Guthrie's formative years and while it's true that Guthrie has branched off into many other areas that make him much more versatile, it's still way too early to compare Vai's achievements and impact to Guthrie's. I think once Guthrie has 3 or 4 solo albums under his belt, we can honestly compare the two. And even then, they represent different eras.

You can't compare Vai to the likes of Hendrix, Page, Blackmore, etc. Is Vai "better" than those legends? Hardly not! I'm not saying that comparing Guthrie to Vai is like comparing Vai to Hendrix as the circumstances are quite different, but we have to agree that Vai has been one of the most influential rock guitarists of the past generation and there's no way anyone can take that away from him. Vai has already made his mark while Guthrie is the new kid on the block.

Guthrie represents the future and that's what's so exciting anyway. We have no idea what will come next from Guthrie and my thoughts are that he's only going to get better and better over the next couple of decades. Can we even imagine what Guthrie will be doing 5 or 10 years from now? Can we even contemplate what the next album will be like when Guthrie says it'll be quite different from 'Erotic Cakes'? So I say let's just focus on the present and the future and not compare Guthrie to players who have established themselves over many years. A lot of people will "get it" eventually. It's just a matter of time.

mmm... I gotta admit I get mixed feelings out of that one... I am all for artist expression and I understand the artist´s soul changes and grows and that should be reflected on the music, but... Do you know the feeling when you like something so much you wouldn´t want it to change?

Well, clearly, it wouldn´t be an issue if it changed for the better (as hard as that is to imagine), but I have seen so many players whose early years were so promising and the sour feeling of disliking their following albums (think Michael Lee Firkins)... I just hope GG does not lose the passion that is part of his songs and certainly hope he does not decide to lay back and forget about the technique thing... Not that technique MUST be there, but I definitely enjoy some virtuosism and the ocassional adrenaline rush that comes from some tasty fast playin, all mixed with good music, of course... Twisted Evil

John Petrucci
alexkhan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShredMeister wrote:

mmm... I gotta admit I get mixed feelings out of that one... I am all for artist expression and I understand the artist´s soul changes and grows and that should be reflected on the music, but... Do you know the feeling when you like something so much you wouldn´t want it to change?

Well, clearly, it wouldn´t be an issue if it changed for the better (as hard as that is to imagine), but I have seen so many players whose early years were so promising and the sour feeling of disliking their following albums (think Michael Lee Firkins)... I just hope GG does not lose the passion that is part of his songs and certainly hope he does not decide to lay back and forget about the technique thing... Not that technique MUST be there, but I definitely enjoy some virtuosism and the ocassional adrenaline rush that comes from some tasty fast playin, all mixed with good music, of course... Twisted Evil

Oh, I don't think you have to worry about Guthrie giving up over-the-top technique! Wink That's a big part of who he is. He loves doing that stuff and makes no apologies about it. Laughing I love that over-the-top part of Guthrie as well. He enjoys playing it as much as we enjoy listening to him doing it. What makes it cooler is that he doesn't do it for the sake of it.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
Yngtchie Blacksteen

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Guthrie won't cut his hair and turn into a smooth jazzhole?
alexkhan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yngtchie Blacksteen wrote:
So Guthrie won't cut his hair and turn into a smooth jazzhole?

I really believe Guthrie will look the same 20 years from now. Perhaps a little more grey in his hair and beard... Wink And he'll still be doing OTT shred mixed in with whatever else he may be doing then. So, no, I don't at all foresee Guthrie becoming a smooth jazzhole. Very Happy
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
RD

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit late, but I agree with the counterproductive agrument. I was making the same mistake a while ago when it comes to promoting players on another players forum in a bit agressive way, wich, indeed, doesn't do much good. I won't make that mistake again. I'd rather point out in a polite way that Guthrie is worth checking out, makes music that is about music that he presents with flawless technique.

BTW: on Guthrie's myspace website, the official Vai and Satch were added as friends, so they like Guthrie no matter what the fans are saying anyway Smile
Dee

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RD wrote:
A bit late, but I agree with the counterproductive agrument. I was making the same mistake a while ago when it comes to promoting players on another players forum in a bit agressive way, wich, indeed, doesn't do much good. I won't make that mistake again. I'd rather point out in a polite way that Guthrie is worth checking out, makes music that is about music that he presents with flawless technique.

BTW: on Guthrie's myspace website, the official Vai and Satch were added as friends, so they like Guthrie no matter what the fans are saying anyway Smile

I agree with you, but honestly, trying to get through to the Vai worshippers over there is tough. To most of them, he is God, and other guitarists might as well not exist.
Glenn

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dee wrote:

I agree with you, but honestly, trying to get through to the Vai worshippers over there is tough. To most of them, he is God, and other guitarists might as well not exist.

A problem inherent with many religious types.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: