Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Tatum's style for guitar
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tatum's style for guitar

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Open Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
liquidtension

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 1:58 am    Post subject: Tatum's style for guitar Reply with quote

First, let me say that Art Tatum makes me smile.

With that said, how in the world do you get a sound like that to guitar without being pigeon-holed as a nonsense shredder? I know Shawn Lane incorporated certain elements of Tatum's style, but where does a person start? There's just sooo much going on, but it's so much more than 'just notes'. It's like complete freedom from the music altogether.

I really don't think I'd have the patience nor the ability to sit down and transcribe Tatum. I mean, it's just depressing to realize that after about 64 notes in you are only 2 seconds into one of his solos.

Is this even a realistic task?
assfax

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1/1 on a six string is just never going to happen. Sorry. Solo guitar ends up being about misdirection and juggling. Look up John Phil Wayne on Youtube. It's a magic trick, you end up using a lot of implied harmony. There's Lenny on one end of the spectrum, flying by the seat of his pants using a lot of simple things at once but often improvising and accompanying himself. Joe Pass who was the definition of juggling, he'll use a chord melody, then extended single-note stuff, not at the same time though. Walking basslines are great for accompanying and fleshing a tune out, but you have to prepare anything too contraptual beforehand. Pass was often compared to Tatum in the early Virtuoso days. Newer guys like Tuck and Martin Taylor take almost a classical approach in terms of arranging a solo piece. Not that there's any shame in that.

The spirit of Tatum's improvisation, and the way he was able to let his mind wander about within a tune is the best thing to try and emulate on guitar. Taking a song and saying "I want to go in this direction" and being able to effortlessly achieve it is the heart of Tatum.

Or you could learn piano.
liquidtension

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have clarified. I wasn't really thinking Joe Pass "solo" style, but more of the single note stuff.

I went back and watched Shawn Lane's "Live at Sneaky Pete's" video today after listening a lot of Tatum's stuff, and I noticed a lot more of his influence in Lane's style.

I guess what I'm after is more of those things that make up the single-note side of Tatum's playing that marks his playing as his own.
assfax

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well in that case take a piano midi of a Tatum transcription and plug it into a tab program and refinger. Then it's just a matter of effortlessly improvising hundreds of unique melodies with feeling and having it all make musical sense. Good luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Open Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: