Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Eric Glass
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Eric Glass

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Open Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tregorn

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:05 pm    Post subject: Eric Glass Reply with quote

Hey dudes,

I've been hanging out around the site just lurking for quite a while now and am a great fan of guthrie and all his music. I think he's probably the best improviser out there right now!

I thought I'd link you all to an acquaintance of mines website. His name is Eric Glass and he's a member of www.guitarwar.com, which is how I met him. He's a really nice guy and very humble too. He's a great player! Check it out: http://ericglassmusic.com/

My favourite tracks are Will Be Was and Boris And Natasha. The stuff is pretty original and I've never heard anyone else play\compose the same way. He's just a hobbyist so don't expect any albums or anything - all the tunes were just mixed at his house.
sayuncledave

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I'm new here, mostly lurking. I wanted to say that your friend is pretty good, at both playing & composition. Thank you for sharing the link.
tregorn

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll relay the message Very Happy Surprised there's not more comments in here, although this is a pretty quiet forum. I really wish he'd put his Jeff Beck scatterbrain cover up - he plays it the way Beck wished he could Very Happy
carnflab

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is very good. Do you know what recording equiptment he has and how he does his recordings?
tregorn

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he has some pretty awesome recording stuff in his house, mixing desk, pro tools. He plays either a gibson les paul or a parker fly deluxe into a Marshall JPM preamp.
sumis

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very very good! lots of great ideas. even though his compositions are somewhat cliché based, the music is at the same time certainly not predictable. lovely melodies and modulations. catchy stuff indeed. personally i tend to like less "in" or "modes based" stuff than this, but hell: there are so many different kinds of music, and this is just great work!. impressive to say the least. and well, he obviously has terrific chops as well.

thanks tregorn for spreading the noise!

tregorn

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next time I speak to him I'll pass on your words Sumis! Not quite sure what you meant about the 'somewhat cliche'd' though - I personally haven't really heard much music I can compare directly to Eric's and say 'sounds just like it!'.

Ah well, always great guitarists around to make me want to throw my guitar out of the window! It pisses me off that guys like Eric are putting music out here for free and they aren't out there making a living from music.
sumis

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tregorn wrote:
Next time I speak to him I'll pass on your words Sumis! Not quite sure what you meant about the 'somewhat cliche'd' though - I personally haven't really heard much music I can compare directly to Eric's and say 'sounds just like it!'.

Well, I mean that his compositions borrow ferociously from different sources, but manages to combine, twist and tailor the idioms in a personal and often unpredicatble way. This is mostly true of his chord structures and modulations though. His perverse melodies are more original, they manages to sound exciting while still being quite inside.

Is that somewhat clearer? The main point is: the guy rocks!

tregorn

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yea gotcha Very Happy I agree - I think the same can be said about almost any music. Guthrie's music especially! Definately agree on the main point: he rocks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Open Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: