Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - "Guthrie is a shredder"?
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Guthrie is a shredder"?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dee

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:54 pm    Post subject: "Guthrie is a shredder"? Reply with quote

I had to post this link... some people will never get it...

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51846

Quote:
Guthrie is a shredder/player/all singing all dancing etc etc....he is not an Icon, he is not a Steve Vai (he might be able to play everything Steve's ever written, twice as fast even)...but who cares, man...it's been done before Guthrie, a million times.
Resi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why?

Maybe you should consider the possibility certain people don't use the word "shred" in a Mike Varney sort of way. Such as the forum I moderate... We have an "80's rock, shred and progressive" forum.

Now, we don't take that to mean all the generic shred cramming as many notes into a bar Mike Varney thing, we kindof adapted a different meaning for it... It doesn't even have to be fast, just someone who's technically very capable and COULD go fast if he/she wanted to. I guess this kind of thing is pretty common amongst people who were still too young in the eighties to fully realise the whole "shred" thing in the Mike Varney way.

Just... Don't assume people are insulting anyone when they say they're "shred", because I, whilst seeing why you or anyone else would think that, probably would and have said that about certain artists you'd feel insulted by when it's ment to mean something different than what you think it does. Wink

Though in that quote (which wasn't there at the time I posted this Razz ) it's obviously ment in an offensive and disagreeable manner. Just thought I'd mention. Don't hurt me.
Dee

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, you have to read the thread I posted a link to. Sorry for the late edit. Indeed it was intended in an offensive and disagreeable manner, it's not just some random quote I picked up on, the guy is a jerk and he annoyed me by basically saying Guthrie is nothing but a shredder who's nothing special and it's all been done before. I doubt he's even heard much of G's music.
Yngtchie Blacksteen

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I responded. Wink
Dee

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw it. Very Happy
NESFantasy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I understand your discontent with someone bashing Guthrie, you did somewhat stick him out there when he had nothing to do with it. Even though the topic was overly obsessed with how great Vai is, I would have just left it alone. Confused
Yngtchie Blacksteen

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NESFantasy wrote:
While I understand your discontent with someone bashing Guthrie, you did somewhat stick him out there when he had nothing to do with it. Even though the topic was overly obsessed with how great Vai is, I would have just left it alone. Confused

Gotta go with this one. It's like with me and Shawn Lane. Sure, I wanna spread the word as much as I can, but I know when not to mention him, and it's mainly in situations like these. Was it a silly thread? You betcha, but was it Govan-worthy? Methinks not, although that's up to other people to decide.
Dee

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, whatever guys. I understand, but I'm on a mission to open a few ears to G's music.
Yngtchie Blacksteen

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dee wrote:
Well, whatever guys. I understand, but I'm on a mission to open a few ears to G's music.

You'll close more ears than you open if you suddenly throw his name into discussions concerning other guitarists, like the thread in question. And look, now the Vai-fellatin' mods have deleted a whole buncha posts.
NESFantasy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No sense arguing over spilled milk, unless it's spilled on you. Wink

Did that make any sense? But, I agree. You can stick Guthrie out there, as long as you don't knock what's already there out of the way. People can listen to reason, if reason is presented reasonably. Razz
alexkhan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I agree that it gets kind of counterproductive if you go on another player's forum (and Jemsite is obviously a Vai-biased site) and tell them that another player is "better" than that player to whom the site/forum is dedicated. Even if it's true... We have to remember that Vai was a major influence during Guthrie's formative years and while it's true that Guthrie has branched off into many other areas that make him much more versatile, it's still way too early to compare Vai's achievements and impact to Guthrie's. I think once Guthrie has 3 or 4 solo albums under his belt, we can honestly compare the two. And even then, they represent different eras.

You can't compare Vai to the likes of Hendrix, Page, Blackmore, etc. Is Vai "better" than those legends? Hardly not! I'm not saying that comparing Guthrie to Vai is like comparing Vai to Hendrix as the circumstances are quite different, but we have to agree that Vai has been one of the most influential rock guitarists of the past generation and there's no way anyone can take that away from him. Vai has already made his mark while Guthrie is the new kid on the block.

Guthrie represents the future and that's what's so exciting anyway. We have no idea what will come next from Guthrie and my thoughts are that he's only going to get better and better over the next couple of decades. Can we even imagine what Guthrie will be doing 5 or 10 years from now? Can we even contemplate what the next album will be like when Guthrie says it'll be quite different from 'Erotic Cakes'? So I say let's just focus on the present and the future and not compare Guthrie to players who have established themselves over many years. A lot of people will "get it" eventually. It's just a matter of time.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
Dee

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yngtchie Blacksteen wrote:
You'll close more ears than you open if you suddenly throw his name into discussions concerning other guitarists, like the thread in question. And look, now the Vai-fellatin' mods have deleted a whole buncha posts.

You think so? I dunno about that. It's all pretty stupid though, and it kinda got out of hand. After I mentioned Guthrie the first time I didn't intend to post anything more, but then people started saying comments like "Guthrie is a shredder, blah di blah!", which to me is just wrong!!! I guess I almost got offended by what I consider to be a really dumb statement. As I said, I doubt that the guy who said that has even heard much of G's music, and it's a shame he's viewed in this way. I don't wish to carry on the discussion over there anyway, I said my piece and I'm done with it.
Yngtchie Blacksteen

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dee wrote:
You think so? I dunno about that. It's all pretty stupid though, and it kinda got out of hand. After I mentioned Guthrie the first time I didn't intend to post anything more, but then people started saying comments like "Guthrie is a shredder, blah di blah!", which to me is just wrong!!! I guess I almost got offended by what I consider to be a really dumb statement.

Well, I can agree with that, it was a pretty silly thing to say. If you hadn't mentioned him in the first place, though, none of this would've happened, that's what I was pointing out.
Texter

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's funny that Katrina is still sitting behind her computer like this Shocked Amazed by what she's unleashed today hehe. Maybe it even made her cry Confused
Dee

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yngtchie Blacksteen wrote:
Dee wrote:
You think so? I dunno about that. It's all pretty stupid though, and it kinda got out of hand. After I mentioned Guthrie the first time I didn't intend to post anything more, but then people started saying comments like "Guthrie is a shredder, blah di blah!", which to me is just wrong!!! I guess I almost got offended by what I consider to be a really dumb statement.

Well, I can agree with that, it was a pretty silly thing to say. If you hadn't mentioned him in the first place, though, none of this would've happened, that's what I was pointing out.

You're probably right. Me and my big mouth, eh. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: